My new Phase 3 F-16 thoughts...

stuey

Hi, I have just built and flown my new Phase 3 F-16 and wanted to offer my 2p's worth on it.

Firstly, unless i am going mad the instructions on setting up the servos for left and right appear to be wrong, ie the wrong way round. This is from the perspective of sitting in the cockpit. The second thing i did to try and give the underneath some protection was to cover the whole bottom moulding with light weight tissue and poly-c. This seems to have worked quite well, i have used 4 coats, the first to stick the damp tissue on.

Another thing i would suggest is if you are using a 170g plus Lipo like my TP 3S 2200 i would move the fan back say 45mm rather than 40mm, as the Lipo did not leave me a lot of room for the receiver to fit behind it (balanced at approx 170mm from trailing edge of wing)

The last point i have is regarding the control throws. I don't know if i have a freak model, but the settings in the manual are far too much!!! I nearly lost it first flight what with trying to trim it right and up while fighting the model attempting to do 3D manouveres. I haven't measured them yet, but my second flight was with 60% rates on both with 20% expo. The roll was much better, still a bit too much elevator imo.

I hope this may help someone, it seems like a good model once trimmed and calmed down

Advert

I was trying to flick my rates on to calm it down first flight but i had my hands full trying to stop it ploughing into the deck! I reckon i was about 1 second from it going in at the worst point. I wish i had started it on 75% rates but i was told to go for the max movement i could get by the shop i bought it from. I did start with the settings in the manual, found them far too much even with 20% expo. Just glad i got it down to try again

I was going to go for a mainly grey scheme with some highlights, changed my mind now i have seen it flying (or not see it more like!)

Shaun, did you paint over the plastic covering thats on the wings and tail?

I always set my rates at 60% for  elevator and ailerons, with 30% expo as my default starting point. I tend to maiden with the rates on, and deselect them as my confidence grows.

As for painting, I went grey (primer) undersides and a bright-ish contrasting desert scheme on top. As for the wings and tail, the covering is like a hard paper and it takes the paint just fine. The paint appears wetter on the wings than the paint on the foam, but dries the same.

I did remove all the black trim as well, masking the canopy off with Tamiya masking tape. I also removed the canopy from the polystyrene and painted that too. Looked great.

• 2 weeks later...

Maidened mine today with a Het fan and Het 3W motor on 4 cell. Fan is moved way back to obtain CG at 6.5 inches from the trailing edge. Throws were at 60% of the recommended 25mm with -30% expo. It flew perfectly right out of my hand from the first launch which was a huge relief! Speed is quite good and it is super-stable in the air. Landing with power off is almost hands free  

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Shaun, i did it with tester pots from the Dulux range, £2.09 for 250ml per colour which is plenty. I will try and add a little more detail soon. The logos are vinyl pre cut ones, very cheap. If anyone wants to know where from let me know, not sure if i can say where i got them on the forum.