Next Project ideas/suggestions

Good choice, the Chilli Breeze is an excellent flyer.

The wide stance wing mounted taildragger gear has excellent ground manners already. Trike would work fine but will add a little weight.

I am somewhat biased toward the Chilli designs though, I currently have an electric Wind in the hangar...

20180503_115640.jpg

The chin area makes a perfect spot to put the battery hatch.

Edited By Nigel R on 30/08/2018 12:01:42

Incidentally, also on outerzone are:

Hanno Prettner Supra Fly 25

Hanno Prettner Super Star 25

Hanno Prettner Mystic 30

Wolfgang Matt Joker 25

which seem to fit your criteria quite well as is.

I suspect the Pilot Shooting Star 40 would scale down very well from 60" to about 52"

and the (Terry Anderson) Rocket from 62" to about 48"

Hi Roger

Thanks for those suggestions. all good aircraft, I'm sure, but I'm trying to narrow down my choice.
Have to say I had pretty much decided on the Tweedy Bird until fate took a hand and I found the Chilli Breeze plan in a box in the loft.
Anyway, think that might be the one, but I do have a question for you or anyone who has built one before.
Concerns the wing centre arrangement.
I notice it has a thick centre rib which holds the locating dowel, plus gussets and a dihedral brace.
Question is what's the best order to assemble those?
My guess would be to assemble both panels separately, add the centre rib and dihedral brace to one panel only, then do the LE sheeting on that panel.
After that, join the panels, add the gusset for that side, then complete the LE sheeting.
Does that sound the best way, or is there something better?

Cheers

Jeff

btw, bit worried about the electric wind in your workshop. Wasn't anything to do with last night's curry, was it?

Jeff, do you have the Chilli Breeze article? If you need a copy i will find the magazine and scan the article for you. Need a PM with your e-mail if you want that. I expect the article says something about the wing assembly procedure.

Jeff

My usual route for this area is to make two 1/8 root ribs with a slot for the dowel. Double up the rib around the slot with a riblet.
Hard balsa for both jobs or liteply.

I don't use braces for joining. Much easier to join the finished panels and then reinforce with two layers of very lightweight glass stuck on with pva. As if it was a foam wing.

Actually it was Nigel's point about not using a brace but to glass cloth the centre - I hate the idea of putting sticky stuff and a bandage on a nice balsa wing!

I was quite surprised to see that Piers reported that the Sarik supplied plan for Chilli Breeze showed only the foam wing plan. The original 'free' pullout plan from RCME clearly shows the built up wing plan with just the foam wing templates as an alternative. Bit of a cheat if you pay good money for a plan and find it's not as good as the 'free' plan! But I wonder if it really was the Chilli Breeze? Perhaps it was the larger Chilli Wind which I think was foam wing only as originally published.

Note that there is a thread about an electric Chilli Breeze here.

Edited By kc on 31/08/2018 16:36:56

Hi Guys

Couple of thoughts, stick with me, they are relevant.

First of all, i know HK have got a bit of a bad press recently, but here's the other side of the coin. When I built the Limbo Dancer I used an old Axi 2820/10 I had lying around. Only lasted a couple of flights before giving up the ghost, but it had been repaired once already so I was not unduly surprised.

Casting around for a replacement I got one of these;

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-3542-1185kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

Turned out to be a very good motor, tows the LD around like a trooper. Only thing was it comes with both a bolt on and a clamp on prop driver, and I wanted to use the bolt on one.

Found that the mounting holes in the mount did not match the ones in the motor. Entered it as a RMA, and HK immediately sent me a new mount, no questions.

Trouble is the new mount was the same as the old one, so pointed to the fault being with the motor instead.

Got back to HK with measurements and asked them to check another motor from stock. Took a few days to do, but they have just got back to say the holes in the new motor are in the right place, so it's my motor at fault, and they are sending me a replacement.

Relevance, you ask.

Well, they didn't say anything about sending the old motor back, so that's the motor for the Chilli Breeze sorted.

Ill wind ............

Secondly

kc was good enough to send me a scan of the original build article for the Chilli Breeze. This was to see if there was a best way to assemble the wing centre section.

Surprised to find the designer recommends building both wing panels, but without any le sheeting or webbing, then join the two panels and add the sheeting afterwards.

With my building skills, that seems a sure fire way to get a twist.

My thinking is to build one panel complete with all sheeting and webbing, then once it's rigid to prop it up and add the second panel flat to the board.

Should produce better results, unless, of course, you know another way.

Jeff