Next Project ideas/suggestions

Hi Guys

Finished the Limbo Dancer build and it's flying well, but my bench is now uncharacteristically empty, so looking for another project.
I have in mind something more like a proper aerobatic rather than a fun fly. Needs to be small to fit in the flat, and all built up. It will be electric, so need to build in lightness as I go.
Wandering round t'internet I came across this:
http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=851_1464&product_id=4554
Probably a bit old fashioned, but soooo pretty.
Also been reading up a bit on the Chilli Breeze, by Mike Delacole.
That's the sort of look I'm aiming for, but there must be others similar.

Any ideas/suggestions most welcome

Jeff

How about :-

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/v1-s-gadfly.html

It is called the Gadfly because it was originally designed at Green Air Design (GAD). Ihave one awaiting repair in front of me at the moment. Th repairs are due totally to my pilot error. I have not flown too many different models, but a much more experienced pilot was most impressed with it when he test flew it for me.

The website says it need an expert builder. I disagree. I found it easy.

Plummet

Hi John, thanks

Wish I could but I am trying to describe a style rather than a particular aircraft.

About 45-50 inch span, long tail moment, relatively small tail feathers, low wing, tapered on LE only.

On this forum I found some pictures of the Chilli Breeze:

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=129491

and also Tweedy Bird:

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=115174&p=3

On the Probuild site, Mini Kosmo

http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=851_860&product_id=4554

That should give you some idea.

Jeff

Jeff, if an Oodalally interests you, please PM me.

I bought a "started" one at a Swapmeet, and have the plans and the magazine article.....it's on the shelf, in the queue waiting it's turn to be built.

I can take some pics if you're interested

DC

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 25/08/2018 20:23:32

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 25/08/2018 20:24:18

Hi Guys

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. Actually left me spoilt for choice.

Runners and riders so far.

Chilli Breeze

Loaded Dice

Tweedy Bird

Mini Kosmo (Mantua Models)

Mini Kosmo is a bit of an outsider. Can't find much on the internet, but what I did suggests it builds rather heavy, not exactly what an electric model needs.

Leaning towards the Tweedy Bird for a number of reasons.

First of all, like the tricycle u/c. Both the others are tail draggers, and especially the one on the Chilli Breeze is not my style at all.
Second, Outer Zone sent me a pdf of the plan. Decided to try scaling it up, just to get an idea of proportions, but the end result turned out good enough to actually build from.
That's saved £16.50 (cheapskate, Moi?)
The fuz builds directly on the top sheet. I do have a build jig, but this makes it so much easier.
Last, but by no means least, there is already a build log on here:
https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=115174
back in 2016 by Wasaforumite.
With a bit of luck might have someone's experiences to call on.

That's my thinking at the moment, but nothing's set in stone.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure (sorry, very old joke)

Jeff

Hi leccyflier

I had dismissed the Birdie 10, since it is designed for 10-15 power, so I assumed it was smaller than the other ones in the range.

A quick internet check reveals that the Birdie 10 is, in fact, 48" span, so same as the Tweedy Bird. I am inclined to question this, since a 48" 3lb model would be quite an ask on even 15 power.

I did find another thread on RCG specifically concerned with this size of model. It mentions the Tweedy Bird, Tweety Bird and Dirty Birdy in much the same breath, so obviously some confusion there.

Did post on that thread asking for clarification, but still waiting for an answer.

Actually not sure it matters too much. I have a plan in front of me for a model that appeals. Won't be worrying about what it's called unless I want to get some decals made up.

Jeff

P.S. out of interest, I did a google search for 'Birdie 10 Model'. Amongst very few entries for this model I also noticed two rather attractive models in their underwear and instructions for making an origami shuttlecock.

Funny ol' world

My view is that the Loaded Dice 30 EP is likely to be a better flier than the Tweedy Bird as it's much more modern and from a modern top designer/pilot. And its designed for electric.

Tricycle models may well end up heavier as electric as the front leg prevents the Lipo going as far forward as you may need so needing lead instead.

The Joe Bridi models seem to have varied the names depending on whether they were magazine plans or commercial kits. The Dirty Birdie is the much bigger span 60 motor version.

Anyone considering a small aerobatic model should also consider the NewEra 3 which is reputed to be an exceptional flier. Parallel chord wings too.

I agree kc (Loaded Dice 30EPyes) but Jeff seems to want trike landing gear, tapered wings, electric and 'small' 48in span? Chilli Breeze would also get my vote (but not trike) also how about the Flea-Fli free pull out plan in the July RCM&E issue, but not tapered wing (neither was NewEra 3). I think Jeff is going to have to design his own model, or scale down Martin K's Kwik-Fli 4-40 for EP (which is 54in span I think?).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/08/2018 14:19:15

Hi Guys, thanks again.

Piers
Unless I am mis-reading your post, need to point out that the Loaded Dice does have tapered wings and is 1200mm span which is 47" so bang in the middle of my range. It is also designed for electric, so that only leaves trike u/c from my 'wish list'.

kc
Agree that the LD is probably a better flier, and Terry Westrop's design skills are renown. Having said that, the Birdie range does have a certain vintage charm, which I like.
I have downloaded the Birdie Ten plan from Outer Zone, but it looks like the plan that would have been supplied with the kit. Has very little construction detail, but does have diagrams of the pre-cut sheets from the kit.
Anyway, does give me a chance to have a good look at the layout.
As regards designing my own, not sure my skills would be up to it, but I find some things from the Tweedy Bird and some from the Birdie Ten that I like, so could end up with a Bitza Birdie.

We'll see

Jeff

If like me you think that 16.50 pounds for a plan is excessive then I should mention that the 66 inch Loaded Dice plan is on Outerzone ( it's the RCM version not the RCME version- might be different) and it could be worthwhile printing out at 75 percent to give a 49.5 inch version which may ( or may not) be close to the LD 30 EP plan. Likely to be better than some bitza!

My memory says that Peter Miller did a review of the Birdie 10 for Radio Modeller or RCME but I cannot remember which issue but Peter might remember whether it was a good plane or not.

Hi KC, thanks

Yes, found that out. Got in touch with Peter, who was kind enough to e-mail me a copy of the original review. He did find issues with the quality of wood in the kit, which won't be a problem for me.

As you say flying qualities were fine.

I would think if it flies that well in the small size, going bigger should be as good or possibly better.

Anyway, got the plan so a bit of 'mulling over' is called for.

Also reading through Wasaforumite's build log from a couple of years ago.

Work in progress

Jeff

Hi Guys

Funny how the gods seem to point you in a different direction.

Having a root around in the loft and I found a box of plans I thought I had got rid of. Guess what was on the top?
You got it, a Chilli Breeze.The original magazine pull out.
What struck me was that on the picture I saw on this forum the UC was attached to the fuz just in front of the wing. Each to his own, but that didn't appeal.
Looking at the original plan it is built into the wing, on hardwood blocks. Wouldn't take much to move those back a bit and hook a nosewheel on the front bulkhead.
Bingo, instant tricycle.
So, things back in the melting pot.

Meanwhile, another question.
Having got back into the hobby, and finding OuterZone and AeroFred I realised there is still an interest in old plans.
So, what to do with the box full I have. I would be happy to list them on here and post them to anyone interested, or perhaps offer them to one of the plan suppliers as a job lot.
Which would be best?

Jeff

Jeff, This chap hosts a plans exchange website. He will sell plans too but not for profit and I am sure he might be very interested in some of your plans that are surplus. Alternatively you could scan and copy them to Outerzone (they don't have a Chilli Breeze although they do have the larger Chilly Wind) or alternatively sell them on eBay if you can be bothered.

I take it your Chilli Breeze has a built up wing? I bought a Chilli Wind plan from Sarik Hobbies but that has a foam wing unfortunately so I guess I will have to sharpen my pensils!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 29/08/2018 19:51:35

Hi Piers, thanks.

Will get in touch with the guy you linked to, see if he's interested. Don't have scanning facilities, so sending them to OuterZone is not really an option.

Actually looking for someone I can post the whole lot to, without having to pick and choose. Selling on e-bay is not an option. Don't want anything for them and selling individually is too much of a chore.

Anyway, I'll work that out somehow.

Yes, the Chilli Breeze has built up wings. The plan only gives inner and outer, so I'm going to have to use the 'sandwich' method. Haven't done that in more years that I care to remember.

Wish me luck !!!!

Jeff