Second time round

Mick Turton

Hello one and all,

My original flying experiences were about 40-45yrs ago, control line.  I built and crashed several planes, and think I still have a few small engines somewhere in the garage. Then in 2000 I took the kids to see the Dambusters exhibition at Ellvington and a model airshow was on. My eldest, James got hooked, he was 14. So I bought all the gear and we trailed off to Pontefract club which we visited for several months and hardly ever got a flight due to lack of trainers to take you up. We moved on to Dewsbury and I decided that priority had to be given to James who got his A within about 3 months.  He then found other interests, as teenagers do, and I ended up going on my own.  I picked it up very well but was pushed too quickly into landing, during my first week of flying, and you all know what happended.  So that was the end of it.

I'm now retired and decided to have another go.  I've built a new trainer, an Arising Star, which has the OS 46 in it from the original Apache trainer. I've been back to Dewsbury and my membership is pending until I see the Treasurer and hand over the cheque.  I've had one flight which I found really difficult.  The last 3 weeks have seen appaling weather and I'm waiting to get back.

During the last attempt to fly, we aquired a Prangster and a Sillouette which I built but never flew. And on one visit to a market bought a second hand Cap.

Getting thoroughly cheesed off with the weather so far this year and have invested in a Sim, got the Phoenix and finding it very useful getting back into what the weather is currently prohibiting me from doing.

Mick.

Advert

Thanks fellers for the quick response.

Eric, I appreciate that the sim has its limitations, but first it got me into being able to do a turn without condeming my trainer to the deck, and secondly, I'm now starting to get a comfortable second nature in turning when its coming towards me without having to think, put the stick under the wing.  Unfortunately, last time, I was still in the early stages when I was pushed into landing, and at low level, you haven't time to correct when you push the stick the wrong way.  Using some of the faster planes on the sim has really helped at making you get it right.  Hell, if Phoenix want to sue me, I've crashed thousands of pounds of their planes 

Mick.

Hi Eric, seems like a familiar story - like you a control liner 40 odd years ago ! - Wen't to work for a guy who is a real "Ace" flier - and the driving force behind the Witney Club (Oxfordshire) The club has changed to electric from proper engines - so a double "newness" - have spent a lot of time on the simulator as cannot afford to fly much - trying to save up the cash for this year's club membership - will get there in the end - again the weather has not helped - but keep on trying !

I too had a break from R/C flying for 10years.I was amazed at how difficult it was to start again.Not quite like riding a bike.It really took a deliberate effort.We are fortunate here to have great weather.I fly 3 days a week now which tends to be hard on ARFs which only last about 3 months before the covering falls off and they start to look tatty.The sim is a great aid to learning;it costs nothing to repair an image.

Ah So - sorry - I got really in to it - used to fly "combat" with a number of kielcraft "talons" that I knocked together on a Friday night, finished and painted on Saturday night, and flew and mostly demolished on Sunday ! Although, to be fair, some lasted for about a month before bad flying (or bad judgement) bin jobbed them - Had some early Graupner radio kit but was a bit too tempremental for me !

Hi Moggie,

Seem to remember that I flew CL for a year or two. A neighbour used to take a number of local kids to a nearby field and originally we flew small planes he had, they were quite solid affairs made out of a few sheets of balsa and were repaired frequently. Think they had a ply body. At some stage I built my own and later progressed onto a flying wing which I also built.  It was about a yard long, made in balsa and covered with tissue and doped. I flew that combat. That takes me back.