Tips for general flying.

Craig Spence

Hi all,

im looking for some tips in general flying. I have a minimag which after some time is now flying, I took it out yesterday and had a great time with it and im just getting used to flying it ie.. I can keep it in the air for a while.

My problems are that I dont like getting too much height on it (explain later) because im not comfortable with it, I generally fly around tree top height, any higher and becomes difficult to judge where im going.

Im also more confident useing the ailerons opposed to the rudder, I find that when I turn with the rudder the plan tilts like it would do with ailerons and looses height. However when I use the ailerons I just tilt the wing and add a little elevation and it turns fine. I suppose I could encorporate the same techinque with the rudder but am happy with the ailerons.

I would also like some advice as to what to do in this situation. Yesterday when I was flying my circuit I took too long on a turn making the plain fly over my head big mistake lol, as I turned around I was greeted by the blazing sun and couldent cearly see my plain, I tried to turn back but it lokked like it was turning away. After coming to my own conclusion that the plain was too far away over many fields and hills to rectify I took it on my self to . . . . . Destroy the plain lol. No matter what I did the plain wasent comeing home, I decided to get the plain down quick and rolled it with the ailerons and rudder down until it was out of sight behind trees then cut the throttle and controlls.

So after picking my self up after being gutted the search commenced, through a field and down a valley (which I didnt know was there lol). After being cut by barbed wire, stung by nettles and crawling through mud my father found the plain about 40 minits later stuck in the mother of all trees lol.

If I didnt dive the plain it would have been gone in the valley somewhere lol. So I climbed the tree at great personal risk to the thinest branch on the top where the plain was, the undercarriage had snapped off, nose split into three parts, canopy gone, flight  battery gone. So I managed to get it down, and find all the parts eventually. WHAT A DRAMA.

Well I intend to fix it all up today and fly it today as well, so has anyone got any tips on those flight problems in the longest thread ive ever wrote lol.

Cheers all.

Advert

Hi Craig, if it's any consolation we've all had days like this.

Rudder - if the model has just rudder then you turn with the rudder, using the elevator to keep the nose level. If you have ailerons then the function of the rudder changes a bit. The ailerons roll on the bank, the elevator still keeps the nose level, but the rudder provides balance. Now in most sports aileron models you often don't need rudder, and indeed in small foamys they often don't provide a facility for one, but in bigger models you do. If you don't use a small amount of rudder in, the same sense as the ailerons, then the model will tend to "skid" a bit in the turns, looking very untidy. Real a/c do the same thing and pilots use the turn and slip indicator to "keep the ball in the centre", i.e. to balance the turn. So use the ailerons when you turn, but try to add just a smidgen of rudder too.

As for orientation of the model - I suffer the same after years of flying, so try a bigger model, or use bright, contrasting colours to differentiate between the upper and lower surface. If you become disorientated by the sun etc, DON'T PANIC! The model will most likely not be doing anything you haven't asked it too, so relax for a second, wait until it's out of sun and fly back as normal. Imagine you are inside it and remember what you did last. Small movements are key, and sadly you probably didn't need to kill it...

Craig,

My suggestion is to define your flying area and stick to it whatever. This will be good practice should you ever fly with others as flying over the pitts is a cardinal sin.

So as far as you possibly can stand with the sun behind you and the wind form the side (either left or right) and well away from any tall obstructions. If you do need to contend with trees etc. then again try to get them behind you. Flying overhead is very confusing so keep the model in front of you which means all the stuff  behind (trees sun roads fences...)  is nolonger a problem. With regard to orientation and flying a small model high. The more you fly the easier this will become you will find that  most of the time you will know where the model is because you flew it there. On the occasion you have no idea which way it is pointing you will have the time to waggle the sticks and by which way it goes know what orientation it is in. The most important thing as Shaun says is DON'T PANIC. All my crashes are caused by me panicking when a bit of calm would have saved the day, that and flying too low.

Hi Shaun,

thanks for the info mate, youv made alot of sense there. Its reasureing that other people have been in the same boat as well.

I had it up today and was flying it really well, I did loops and rolls but I still crashed it loads. I had the height but I still flew it over my head, ive just got to learn to judge the speed better to perform better turns.

I think with a few more flights I will have got the knack of stable flight, ive pretty much got it now.

Cheers Shaun.

Hi Bruce, just to say thanks for the info and my thread to Shaun explains what ive been up to and learned. One thing I forgot to ask was when I was flying today the plain gaind height loads this was very daunting but I maintained controll and dropped the height easily there was a steady breeze so I gather the height gain was because of this. But wow it gained height alot.

Cheers.

I am also a "learner driver" - I spend a lot of time on non flying evenings on the flight sim - I got a G3 when I first started which was a bit pricy - but I now see that they are getting really affordable - anyway the upshot is that - with the "small" nature of the screen the model often gets a bit far away and I am not sure of orientation - My "real flight" tutor says "stop stirring the sticks, see which way the plane seems to be going (up - down - left - right)" try and get wings level then try a left or right turn - with a little "up" and see - you can then gauge if its upside down or right way up  and then take appropriate action - if it's right in the sun - don't use up or down but try a "flat", slight turn to get visible - if it comes over the pits or flight line - accept the "head slap" from the senior members - I know - it hurts !!! - the up side being that if it does you know it's close enough to see its orientation and - again - take the appropriate action

cheers - moggie

Hi Claude,

thanks for the advice, im joining a local club in the new year. At the mo im flying electric but will convert to IC when I join the club, the electric is just to learn the basics on and to be honest I think im doing really well now after my problems ive learnt from them and am getting better.

Cheers Claude.

Hi Craig

You mentioned flying into the sun,well, if you do, close one eye as the aeroplane approaches the brightest spot, then as it comes away, open your eye, and close the other one.

If you plane gets too high, or too far away, the best thing to do is close the throttle.

If you can't tell if it's coming or going, move the aileron stick quickly left, then right. If the plane goes first left, then right, it's going away from you. If it goes right, then left, it's coming towards you..............think about it for a minute.  Either way, it will end up going more or less the same way as it was before you gave the aileron command.

Best of luck, but do try to get help from an experienced pilot.

Hi Jack,

I havent the money to join it yet but ive spoke to them and they have recommended a suitable IC trainer plane which they use at thier club.

I suffer anguish everyday I go out with the plane but its something I accept as part of the hobby, besides the plane im flying only needs a bit of super glue and its good as new. However ive snapped the wings, fuselage, undercarriage and alot more and after fixing so many times its looking a bit warped but it just keeps begging me to fly it regardless lol!.

I thought that the warping and damaged wing parts would be a dramatic change to the flight but it flys fine ha!, its just got to last me till christmas then I go IC. Im learning the basics very well I think and my dad used to fly years ago with a super 60 and he thinks im taking quick.

Well see how it turns out.

Cheers again Jack.

Craig,

you say you havent the money to join the club...have you the money NOT to join? Keep crashing and it works out pricey!  Also DO join the BMFA as the insurance could well be worth it.

You ought to get a few hours on a buddy box really, it would sort you out in no time at all and would pay for itself in about a week! (The club fee, not training which should be free).

If you insist on going it alone, well it CAN be done and was many, many years ago...but as I said it proved expensive and full of angst.

Good luck though.

david

Craig,

David is right - even if you can't afford to join a club, PLEASE join the BFMA - if only for the insurance ! In this day and age you've only got to fly near someone - or their pet/livestock/house etc., etc., and they'll state that their health/property/ right to life, freedom and happiness etc., etc., etc., has been irrevocably damaged and they'll sue your A*** off  !! See the adverts on TV - Also one of the reasons the Club I belong to (when I can afford it !!) has gone to electric flight is that - not withstanding we are in the flight envelope of RAF Brize Norton, with it's C17s, and other loud jets including the Antonov, someone complained about the noise of IC engines - on farm land !! at least 1/2 mile from nearest house. So to save being either sued for damaging someone's hearing, or noise polution etc ! - So DO Join the BFMA - You will at least have the armour of the association round you if the worst happens !

cheers

moggie

Absolutely, first priority is join BMFA then a club.

I had my first flight on Sunday with my mentor, coached by a guy from my local club that i joined last week.  I did steady circuits and even landed it myself but im guessing that without this tuition it would have ended with a broken plane (Fixable but broken) as it happens it went back in my car in the same condition that it left it in.

The way i see it, if i go it alone and crash thats costing me money that could have been prevented - ok joining the club wasnt free but then neither is losing a 'flyaway' model if you cant find it again. Work out how much its cost you just to get the minimag in the air as thats what it would cost to start again, if my mentor is anything to go by then the club joining fee was negligable and lasts a full 12 months (Including BMFA membership)

Also my club is very sociable, and in the six weeks it took me from deciding to buy my first plane to actually having one ready to fly i spent many a day at the strip just talking to people and learning stuff, as well as seeing some great flying in the process.  I cant recommend joining a club enough.

Good luck with it all

Hi all,

sorry for the late reply. Well I totally take your advice and would do it as you said however, I will still be joining the club at christmas and the BMFA is included. I can take off and land fine now its just I make mistakes every now and then, but once ive done them ive learnt from them and havent done them again as yet.

As for the field I fly in it is quite safe and if I see anyone coming I land the plane. I havent had to pay to fix the plane yet, ive just took superglue to the field with me and fixed it on the spot (most times, sometimes it needed a bit more attention).

Cheers fellas advice taken.

Craig, The only thing I would add to the above is - get insurance, if your plane goes out of control or flies away, then hits a car or worse, somebody, or their animal in the eye, what situation will you be in then?

BMFA membership at the moment is £22 or £13 for juniors, can you afford not to be insured?