Remote glow starter?

Tim Kearsley

Hi all,

It's nothing but questions, since I made a foray into the world of I.C. engines!  The Hangar 9 Mustang I've almost completed now has a cowl over the engine making the glow plug fairly inaccessible.  So I bought a remote glow.  This has a jack socket which I've mounted to the side of the fuselage and two connections to go to the glow plug.  One clearly fits under an engine mounting bolt but the other is a sort of clip which obviously has to attach to the glow plug central connector.  The thing is, I can't see how the clip fits to the plug without being quite loose and in grave danger of shorting to the motor body.  I feel I must be doing something wrong here but can't see what!

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tim.

Thanks for the comments Eric.  Well the clip is really just a length of wire bent round into a kind of spring clip.  It grips the glow plug end fairly securely but is free to move around and short out to the cooling fins.  Do the fins get hot enough to damage heat-shrink sleeving if I were to shroud the end of the clip in that?

It IS a jack, rather than a power connector and the comments re. shorting out are noted.  As a fellow radio ham I know these things from bitter experience!!

And yes, good old thoughtless me HAS fitted the jack socket on the same side as the exhaust discharges!  I think it's high time I returned to electric power.....

Tim.

Tim 

If you are seriously thinking of going back to 'lektric  100% I'll swap you all my electric kit for anything to do with ic  I cant seem to ever enjoy these ten minute type flights & keeping up with whatever comes out each month ! If you'd  like to find out what I've bought  & created  ask on [email protected]

PS raining buckets again up here in Newcastle !

Grumpy Myron

Hi Myron, well I'm still very actively involved in leccy flight but I fancied trying out the I.C. side of the hobby.  I'm enjoying it to be honest, but I didn't appreciate that there was so much extra to learn!  I nearly "electrified" the Mustang actually, but the cost of the necessary LiPos scared me off!  Anyway, once I get up the steep learning curve I'll be OK.

Thanks very much to the contributors to this thread for suggestions etc.  Bruce, I'll follow your lead I think and put a double layer of heat-shrink over the exposed metal.

Pouring with rain down here in Northamptonshire as well Myron!

Tim.

Going back to the glow plug clip, I recently bought a Kavan connector set, not cheap, but the plug connector is a moulded properly insulated clip that has a very firm spring loaded contact inside. It even fits an Enya glowplug which has a large terminal. It looks like the insulated cap on a full size sparking plug in miniature..

After messing about with a butchered Lucar connection that kept coming off, and a soldered on safety pin !!, this has done the job and does not fall off with the vibration.

Tim

I normally slide a piece of fuel tube over the wire to prevent any short circuit on the fins,i have also used the brass insert from a 5 amp electrical connector  to connect the wire to the plug,never had any probs and its easy to remove the plug after removing the connector.

Jim

Hi, For my remote glow connector, I cut a slice of cereal packet as an insulating washer. This insulated the bent wire clip nicely. Don't go too big or you could affect cooling of the head. My remote connector had a fake glow plug top to connect to, so no change of connectors, just clip the usual glow stick on and go. It's not required now as I side-mounted the 2s rather than the completely unreliable inverted 2s installation the 2nd hand plane came with. Now all I need is room for a larger fuel tank!... Regards, Rob