PIlot Akro

Martyn K

Hi

On my wish list is the Pilot Akro 1204M. I am really struggling to find out just which prototype this plan was based upon. The nearest I can find (looking at the cockpit outline) is a one off DALLACH DIABLO 2 (D-EMOO) which was a modified Stephens Akro which then spawned the Laser 200 and Laser 230.

However, the cockpit outline is wrong for all of these (except the Diablo)..

D-EMOO

The plan claims that it is semi scale, which according to Lord Boddington means not-scale (his words not mine). It would be nice if I can find out just which outline was used for this plan so I could modify it accordingly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/09/2018 11:19:25

Advert

I built the small Pilot Kit of the Stephens Acro in the 80's & it was good enough both in scale & flight characteristics for me to win the Club 20 Scale Competition at the Nationals in 1987 (it was never held again so I have now been reigning Champion for 31 years! dont know). That was it's last flight as it then went into immediate retirement.

Nice little model, the 120 size should be even better. They were all the rage in their day but very rarely seen now as fashions change.

Thanks John

I have done a bit of photoshopping

akro v laser200.jpg

This is a comparison against the Laser 200 as you suggested

akro v laser230 compare.jpg

and this is against the Laser 230.

I have tried to centre on the (approx) wing and cockpit positions. What is clear is that the cockpit on the Pilot plan is far too big but that is easily corrected and the nose against the Laser 200 is too long

However, I think this is doable

Shame the Club 20 scale was dropped. Do you know why?

Martyn

Thanks Nigel

It would certainly fit with IMAC 10% rules but I would want it more accurate than that. Of the two variants, the 230 is more appealing mainly because its a UK registered aircraft and may be accessible. Just needs the tail moment shortening.

If I go ahead with this it will have an OS120FS Surpass III with pump - a heavy lump and the nose on the 230 is shorter so shouldn't end up too nose heavy. I think it would make an excellent project with enough design tweaks to make it my own.

I think I'll get the plan printed and take a closer look

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/09/2018 15:38:07

Thanks Jim

That looks very nice.

I have found in my archive a Laser 200 plan (1.8m span) that looks to be accurate enough for starters and I also have a Laser 200 3V as well. I would have preferred the Laser 230 but without an accurate 3v I don't want to proceed with that

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

laser 200 3v.jpg

Two more drawings to be printed.. oh hum

Martyn

Moving on with this a bit more. I thought that I would do a comparison between the Plan and N10LL (Laser 200) and also the plan and G-CDDP (Laser 230) which was my preferred prototype. Changes have a black line appended

plan v laser200.jpg

That's not a bad match. Minor discrepancies around the cowl profile and the fin and this prototype has a much sleeker canopy..

However..

plan  v laser230.jpg

This is miles out The Fus is deeper, thrust-line is different and fin is different. Too many changes to cater for so unless a Laser 230 3v is forthcoming, it looks like I will be stuck with the Laser 200

Martyn