Hangar 9 Spitfire

‘Occasional’ projects, we’ve all got ‘em and I've got more than my fair share on the go. Anyway, jogging along since 2017 has been this 81” Hangar 9 Spitfire which I promised myself the day I sold my superb Tony Nijhuis 63” version. Flying Tony’s Spit’ was always a thrill and, old and slightly underpowered though it was, I miss it. So, what’s left to do on the H9? Not much really. Primary controls connected and working, retracts and flaps installed, Roto 35 engine installation in progress for which I’m currently fiddling with throttle and choke connections. I've never owned a petrol engine before and I'm frequently put off by the noise of the things, however the baffled (as supplied) Roto 35 is the exception to the rule. More soon. Graham

pic.1.jpg

pic.2.jpg

pic.3.jpg

pic.4.jpg

pic.5.jpg

pic.6.jpg

Advert

Hi Graham -I'm sure that you will enjoy the Spitfire!

Mine now has some 35 flights clocked up, running on a Laser 180FS, it is a real pleasure to fly. It has a very nice "sit" in the air, and enough mass to fly much bigger than it is. It weighs 20lb 4oz including about 28oz church roof at the front. Much of the weight was to counterbalance the cockpit & pilot - same as yours I believe.
Last sortie was last Saturday - for Battle of Britain day! Today was the Hurricane's turn...

Make sure that the cannon fittings are easy break-off, 'cos they will when it noses over on landing (and it willwink).

Full flap landings are good with no elevator mix required, but make sure that you raise the flaps before taxying back - same reason as full-size!.

Happy landings,

Steve.

Edited By Steve Dunne on 22/09/2018 18:32:13

Posted by fly boy3 on 22/09/2018 17:39:18:

Nice build Graham, and I really like the attention given to detail such as tubing on the clevis ends, and lock nuts on pushrods to clevis joins. Cheers

Thank you FB3, it's partly (only partly) why an ARTF can take me so long to put together. Trouble is, if it's not done right I just won't be happy smiley

Little bit of progress chaps. Firewall given a coat of paint and lacquer, throttle and choke connections sorted, plus a gratuitous shot of the undercarriage. The next day or two should have the engine bolted in and the tank plumbed... unless there's something I've missed! More soon. Graham

pic.7.jpg

pic.8.jpg

pic.9.jpg

Edited By Graham Ashby (Editor) on 26/09/2018 09:35:50