DB Sport and Scale Hurricane Engine

ChrisB

i am having this debate with myself at the moment. I have had a half built example in the corner of my room for about 12 years and keep putting off its restoration as i just cannot decide on an engine.

I originally wanted to use my laser 240v as it fits in the cowl but cooling and tank positioning will be a challenge given that the model is already built. I then toyed with a 300v, but had similar issues with the tank and it will just poke out of the cowling. I am now wondering if my 30cc laser petrol will be man enough for the job and will be testing the engine in another model of similar size and weight. I am encouraged by reports from customers using our 180 in YT Hurricanes and H9 30cc spitfires which are only slightly smaller and a very similar weight. I also have a report from a customer who is using our 180 glow in his 24lb example of the DB hurricane and while he reports scale performance and nothing more i am ok with that. The full size hurricane is no rocketship so im keen to try it with the laser petrol.

its been a long time since a model gave me such confusion. Certainly the DB spit will be fine on a 30cc 4 stroke but i am just not 100% sure about the Hurricane. My other similar size/weight models have much more power but equally have much greater performance than is needed for a Hurricane.

Mine started with a Laser 180 . Following a sudden arrival and copious repair its now fitted with a DLE 35RA (also upgraded to the built up wing) . Plenty of power .

One of our club members has a DLA/E 50/56 (I can't remember which one) . I couldn't understand why he needed so much more power until I tried to pick it up. He had glassed the wings.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 01/10/2018 14:21:46

Posted by Tomtom39 on 01/10/2018 14:21:05:

Mine started with a Laser 180 . Following a sudden arrival and copious repair its now fitted with a DLE 35RA (also upgraded to the built up wing) . Plenty of power .

One of our club members has a DLA/E 50/56 (I can't remember which one) . I couldn't understand why he needed so much more power until I tried to pick it up. He had glassed the wings.

Edited By Tomtom39 on 01/10/2018 14:21:46

I have glassed my wings but the basic airframe without radio or engine is only 12lbs. If an engine is 3lbs, 2lbs for radio i still have 3lbs to keep to my 20lb target.

How heavy was your 180 powered example?

Hello Jon, mine was a shade under twenty pounds A.U.W , repaired one with the dle is 23lbs 9oz's. with electronic retracts . I thought about skinning it with the Mick Reeves Pro-skin , however ended up using balsa sheet and light glass fibre cloth with five coats Poly-C , which I had tinted to give me a base coat from which to work from.

(Sorry made mistake on the AUW , a bit heavier than the 21lbs)

Edited By Tomtom39 on 01/10/2018 15:23:21

Thanks folks.

I’d like a 4s petrol and from experience of building a DB Spitfire (all wood), a MOKI 210, was just enough to stagger around.

I had hoped for something like. Valach or Kolm. Equally I may opt for an OS 40gf or a roto. Really not sure.

What I will be doing is making the tropical version 2B as A. It has a volks filter which will give me a bit more space underneath and that marque also had a slightly longer cowl, which will help with engine length.

Edited By ChrisB on 03/10/2018 14:02:56

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 03/10/2018 14:20:08:

a moki 210 should have monstered the spitfire. Mine flew on a saito 150 and was fine. What did it weigh?

The Spitfire was built from the bandsaw kit as plan but with a recessed lower firewall to accommodate the wrap around exhaust.

All up was 16lbs which I was happy with and then the lead started to be added. 6lbs later and eventually it balanced. To say I was disappointed is an understatement, especially as the tank bay was reduced due to the recess so flight time was about 6 minutes.

I've since sold it but don't want to make the same mistake with the Hurricane.