Electronics advice for a beginner

James 1

Been a little while since I first posted here ... I’ve done a bit of messing around with balsa and foam , resulting in a few tragedies and some surprising results ! I’m starting to get the hang of it.

I have recently bought a speed build warbird from Flitetest, a Corsair mini (one of my favourite planes) but the power pack it is reccomending is out of stock and to be completely honest with you, I’m not sure what I’m looking for exactly. They list as follows ;

Motor - emax 2205

ESC - emax BLHeli - 12a w/xt-30 connectors

4 servos - emax es9051 5g servos

2 extensions 20cm

Y lead 30cm

4 linkage stoppers

2 propellers 6x3 CCW

1.5 Allen wrench

Philips screwdriver

My question is, because this is labelled out of stock I will need to buy alternatives and I am not sure where to look or what I’m looking for . Could you guys give me any pointers? Are the items listed any good ? Are they good value for money ? Etc

Some are self explanatory eg the tools and propellers but I’ve googled the ESC and can’t seem to find an alternative

Thanks a lot

EDIT - I should have also stated that I live in the UK 

Edited By James 1 on 05/10/2018 18:35:39

Advert

Thanks for the replies ,

So those should be adequate for the mighty mini Corsair?

I just wasn’t sure on what to look for because the website said pack F (described above) was suitable ... any ideas regarding the other items on the list ? Is there anything else I should be looking for ?

Cheers

Hi James, I've looked at the links above and no-one appears to have the Flitetest power pack F in stock, not even Flitetest themselves!

But, the individual items are available here:

Motor: **LINK**

ESC: **LINK** not the heli one listed, but why do you need a heli esc in a plane?

Incidentally the ESC won't come with a battery connection socket, so you'll have to solder one on, or get someone to do it for you, see here **LINK** for ones which will match the battery below (do take care with polarity when fitting!!)

Battery: **LINK**

Servos: **LINK**

Propeller: **LINK** OK it's a 'gas' prop but will be quite OK and it;s the only 6x3 I could find on the Robotbirds site!! (Trying to get everything from one location to save on postal charges - typical Yorkshireman!!)

Linkage stoppers: **LINK**

Y leads and extension leads : **LINK**

Allen key and etc. : **LINK**

Hope that covers most of what you need - if you need any further help, just ask.....

GDB

Posted by Caveman on 06/10/2018 14:01:26:

Hi James, I've looked at the links above and no-one appears to have the Flitetest power pack F in stock, not even Flitetest themselves!

But, the individual items are available here:

Motor: **LINK**

ESC: **LINK** not the heli one listed, but why do you need a heli esc in a plane?

Incidentally the ESC won't come with a battery connection socket, so you'll have to solder one on, or get someone to do it for you, see here **LINK** for ones which will match the battery below (do take care with polarity when fitting!!)

Battery: **LINK**

Servos: **LINK**

Propeller: **LINK** OK it's a 'gas' prop but will be quite OK and it;s the only 6x3 I could find on the Robotbirds site!! (Trying to get everything from one location to save on postal charges - typical Yorkshireman!!)

Linkage stoppers: **LINK**

Y leads and extension leads : **LINK**

Allen key and etc. : **LINK**

Hope that covers most of what you need - if you need any further help, just ask.....

GDB

That’s brilliant Caveman thank you , in your opinion does the equipment seem value for money ? As I’m sure when I make other/ bigger models etc I will be taking the equipment from this plane to save costs (where possible, anyway)

I have no idea why they listed a heli ESC to be honest , I did wonder!

Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first plane and I haven’t really got an idea of what specific servos and motors to use , I’ve just been following the sellers guidance

Posted by Dave Cooper 3 on 06/10/2018 15:44:53:

Hello All - I'm new to the forum and hope this is in the right section !

I'm just starting to delve into RC electronics - mainly 27 and 35 MHz at present, fault-finding and trouble shooting existing gear etc.

Regarding test equipment, I have a good, reliable multimeter and one oscilloscope on the way. I have a few questions you may be able to assist with :-

1. Does the 'scope need dual trace, alternative triggering and any special probes ?

2. What would you recommend for a signal generator /frequency analyser etc ?

3. Current faults involve Rx I/F selectivity stages and ESC /BEC switching - anything especially useful here ?

4. Reasonable cost power supply sources ?

5. Sources of old Futaba (and 'compatible' Service Manuals etc

Home /DIY kit projects especially interesting...will shortly be upgrading to the '2.4' equipment, so anything different here test-wise is of interest.

Thanks for your patience with the above !

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

you will be better to create your own topic with this post, I think this will be missed by the majority as it’s hidden within my post

Hope this helps

James, Emax stuff is of good quality and Robotbirds ESCs are also good (they're re-badged Hobbywing items) both of which I've used for years.

The items listed are fine for small, lightweight models.

You will appreciate that the specification of motors, batteries, ESC, servos and the like is relevant to the type and size of model they are to be used in, but certainly, these items can be 're-homed' into other small models should the current host meet an unfortunate end wink 2

GDB