Strengthen wing roots on HK Bixler and Walrus

Edgeflyer

Advert

After gluing with thick cyanosis, the slots are filled with epoxy filler. With the rods inserted under the tail also, the rear fuselage is now stiff and the tail won't wag. Much more resiliant for hard landings.

Next step will be covering the fuselage front with light weight fibreglass.

• 3 weeks later...

Fibre glass covered wings. Next covering with heatshrink film.

20181117_070439.jpg

Horrible stuff to use the lightweight film wrinkles easily and doesn't give a second chance.

20181117_070518.jpg

20181117_070718.jpg

Top surfaces finished.

The result is much stiffer than the original. I forgot to weigh the wings before starting. They still feel very light and I think the increased strength will help when my grandson flies it. Hopefully the horrible colours will help orientation.

Next job to colour the fuse and refit radio.

It would be interesting to have weighed your Bix as it was to compare when finished.

As with all reinforcing there is a danger that you simply discover the next weakest point. wink 2

It is also worth remembering that although extra weight only increases the flying speed by roughly the square root of the increase, both the power to fly and any impact forces increase in direct proportion.

In other words 10% heavier has to be both 10% more powerful and stronger to simply retain the same performance and crash resistance.

Carbon rods stiffen fuse very well for virtually no weight penalty. Glass 0.5oz p sq m. With pu floor varnish as resin medium, the glass is not inflexible and gives with foam. Weight gain pretty minimal but I didn't weigh the old bixler before starting, stupidly. I watched clubmate bixlers flying as supplied they seem too light for training as severely wind affected. I think the stiffer heavier mod will help, but time will tell. I will be fitting a 3 axis stab rx with training setup for grandson and we'll be flying from slopes so need strength.

• 2 months later...
The Bixler is finally finished and test flown today. I had to add 3.5 oz of lead in the nose to get the cg on the aileron servo wires. It flew beautifully in a 20mph wind at my local slope site. I didn't use the motor except to test it. The model is very stable, helped by the Lemon 7 plus stab rx.