Metallic Paint from Lidl

Simon Knight

So, we were out shopping yesterday and popped not the local Lidl. I always like looking in the centre aisle to see what bits they have that I don’t need and I came across this hobby paint:

d22d8856-d339-4f97-ae5a-700ab144f29b.jpeg

Ooh, I know what that might look good on, and as I have no space to do a new build, I’ll respray a foamie I have. Give the paint a go and if it ruins the model then I’ll have space for a new build; win win.

My Parkzone P47 has been painted 3 times so far, so what is another coat of paint going to add? Time for a change a back to an American scheme I think to utilise he silver. Now I know it says chrome but I’m sure it won’t look too bad.

2ee17f50-dbbe-43e6-9cc0-c753b8d2e1ae.jpeg

SO after the shopping was unpacked I went into the garage and took the faded decals off and took her apart. The underside was already a matt grey so in a rush just applied the paint directly. It pooled a little and looked naff so I wiped it with a cloth. This spread it more evenly and actually seemed to apply it more neatly. That is how I then applied the paint to the rest of the model. Pray, wipe spray. In the end she looked like this which I was pleasantly happy with.

Advert

It looks better in the flesh but this gives an idea.

fb607bf1-41d0-4d29-b498-324e443f569a.jpeg

Used some of the red paint from my DVII to do the nose and just need to decide and source a colour for the tail, probably yellow.Make the decal and voila, a new aircraft.

3c32f43b-f707-489b-aeb6-9c32bb094ec0.jpeg

It feels like a nice smooth finish too, not that you can tell with this battered foamie.

I can see the paint doesn't attack the foam but does it stick well? The main problem with painting foam models in my (limited) experience was masking tape pulling the paint off as it's removed. Either that or paint migrating under the tape if it's not pushed down firmly and spoiling the line.

I agree with TWS btw. It looked great before the new spray job

Geoff

I know it was a shame to go over the RAF Thunderbolt, but it was either that or my Mustang and I love that one too much...

befd75e4-12c8-4f47-b132-3d7b58eca147.jpeg

As for the paint sticking it isn't too bad, but I didn't press the mask hard enough so did get some seepage. Will hand touch it up and give it a couple of "repaired panels" etc. When I finish the rest of the upper fuselage I'll press harder or try the Tamiya white tape.

img_2726.jpg

So after a little tidying up and some artistic license with the colours she is finally taking shape. The Lidl paint held up well to masking tape, Tamiya tape and the useful Post-it Note too. None were pressed hard but did the job within reason.

img_2729 (edited).jpg

I've run out of decal paper so will have to do the wing roundels when I have some more (now ordered). Quite a contrast from the previous scheme but I am very happy with it and it is dedicated to my little boy so he is very excited he has his own model now.

img_2731 (edited).jpg

I'll add a finished model picture once she is complete, but I do think that for a cheap spray can paint, I found a good one. Now... what aircraft are gold?