IC Models-Should we be worried?

SIMON CRAGG

Posted by Don Fry on 04/11/2018 20:51:46:
Posted by john stones 1 on 04/11/2018 19:45:13:

We entertained a local Scout group recently, set up buddy models for them to fly, bought some pop n crisps, foam model chuck gliders for them to have a bit of fun with, entertaining night and well worth the effort, new members from it ? No, never expected we would.

But was a seed planted?

Who knows Don.

Advert

"have you seen how cheaply you can buy an OS 61SF on eBay recently? wink"

You've picked quite a collectible motor there - perhaps that wasn't your intent? I would say:

A nice clean boxed one can go for around £100. A good clean boxed pumped version SF or RF will be a chunk more, maybe £150. Unloved examples (without pump) are usually near £50. Basket cases for spares/repair - £20 or £30 usually, unless the pump system looks usable, if so then more. The red head Hanno Special version can easily top £300. Got the matching Hanno Special header & pipe? Double that. The OS anodized blue tuned pipes fetch good money, too. 2 years ago, prices were a bit lower. They've gone up lately.

The 40 size SF is not a wanted commodity, £20 or so. A 46 will fetch a bit more, anything up to around £80 for an unrun example, but usually £40 or so for a good runner. The pumped 46, that is rocking horse poo, skys the limit.

Edited By Nigel R on 05/11/2018 14:36:53

Having flown on and off since I qualified for long trousers, my own feeling is that as long as you're enjoying yourself and not spoiling life for anyone at the field, or for neighbours within earshot, the motive power for your planes is just a matter of personal choice. When SWMBO and I had to share a single car (but a nice one) 40 odd years ago, carting oily i.c. planes about had an understandable potential for leaving indelible stains on the upholstery of the family barouche, with an associated risk of marital strife -  the only answer was to join the emerging leccy movement, and honestly until recently I was blissfully happy flying almost anything and everything as long as it had an electric motor on the front (or back !) Recently, for no reason that I can explain I acquired an Irvine 46 and converted my rather tired old artf WOT4 to i.c. - after a bit of fanniying about with the tank and help from the guys at the field to get the maroon marvel to run consistently with no more dead sticks (helped by an on board glow driver), the W4 now has a regular place in the back of the car along with another 2-3 electric planes, all part of a healthy mixed diet of flying. As the youngsters (under 50?) might say - Whatever floats your boat.

Edited By Old Geezer on 05/11/2018 17:27:36

I have just w read the report on a RC flying competition with 128 entrants and a ladies class with 12 entrants. The overall winner was 15 and the ladies 11.

OK it was electric drone racing but there was lots of young interest there. They reminded me of the sort of people who used to fly control line combat in the 60s and 70s. You know the days when you got 128 entants by April every year.

Will todays drone racer still be flying drones in 10 years time ? Probably not. But we still have young RC flyers they just are not flying Junior 60s Jackdaws and Robots.