I want to go EDF

richard cohen

• 1 month later...
Advert

With GEAR to ELEV mix giving a switchable 2mm up elevator for launch and THR to AIL mix giving a little right roll from 70-100% throttle, the model climbs out easily now.

These pictures were taken last Monday with 3/4 throttle and up hill. The slight left roll disappears with the above mix if I use more throttle at takeoff. Now I think I could nearly launch with the Tx on the ground.... ....When at about 2 houses high, I switch out the elevator trim and it goes from a climb to straight and level flight.

Really pleased with this little beast now, it goes like lightning on the factory supplied motor/fan combo and at only 27", there's no looking down at the Tx timer..!!.. It really is the hardest thing I've flown in all these years (inc helis). This thing would be VERY easy to abliterate in a nano second if I don't concentrate the whole flight.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/Tally_Hooo.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/cap002_0.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/cap003_0.jpg

Thanks Shaun, if you look a few posts up, you can see my repairs that were needed before I incorporated the mixes...!

It's made the model a pleasure to take along now as (without being over confident) I feel it's guaranteed to launch well. That really wasn't the case before and I had to use the elevator trim all the time before and after launch, plus a left torque roll from the fan in the release static air meant very quick reflexes were needed to get back on the stick in time to correct it.

Oddly, a mate this week has just maidened his Funjet and we've been through exactly the same process of mixes on that to allow easy solo launches. This afternoon he let me know it climbed out straight and true on his first launch alone at the field. Earlier in the week he had sheared the nose with a dip and left roll which he has repaired.

Looking like better weather for us in Kent this weekend for a little stick stirring....

Cheers..........

Shame about your model Shaun, I flew mine with the Funjet on Wednesday and without flying roughly the same circuits, it was surprising how many times we held our breath as the models whizzed by each other and crossed......there's a lot less time for peripheral vision with these EDF's it seems..

We plan on seeing if we can get some sort of formation circuits going on next time out at say half throttle. That will be a good challenge.

I've read that Timbo loves his Sabre and it looked very impressive in one of the current RCME editions on a flypast. Until I had sorted this launching issue, I would never had contemplated another EDF, especially one over a £100. It could all end in the very first 10 yards...

I must be a bit careful Shaun, I like the fact for a first time EDF that the Tigershark is £60 with motor/fan or £70 with matching esc. My first toe dip into EDF hasn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm also running a dual conversion Giant Cod Corona 6ch £12 Rx in it that was highly recommended for EDF's and so far (reaching for the wood) hasn't glitched once. My £18 2250 lipos are going great guns and I could fly comfortably over 10 mins a go but choose not to.

See, I knew I'd get back to the thread title in the end...... ......be good to have Richard Cohen back on here to see what he chose in the end and how he's getting on as an EDF first timer like me..

I hope all my repair pictures didn't frighten him off.........