I want to go EDF

richard cohen

Hi guys,

My first foray into the edf forum as i normally fly i.c warbirds. Last year i bought a 'leccy spitfire for a bit of quiet flight in my lunch breaks and have been looking at trying an edf model. I prefer buying models that i have always liked or that are unusual subjects and the models that caught my eye are the Kyosho Intruder or the F4 Phantom. They look to be reasonably well recieved ? on other websites but  i could find no reviews in MF.co.uk .  Does anyone have any experience / views of these models. all comments appreciated although i know its late and i'll recheck thread tomorrow . 

regards Richard

Advert

Hmmmm, don't think it's miles above anything to be honest Malcolm, I'm sure you like it and I know they fly well, but they are very small and made from Depron.....not everybody's favourite at all....and I'm sure you havn't flown all the others? There are some fantastic EDF's on the market at the moment........Alfa no longer hold the exclusive rights to fantastic performing EDF foamies.

I mean there are just some very good EDF's on the market, and to say that the F-16 is poor is something of a sweeping statement.....the T-33 [the old Kyosho one] was a superb flier...just slow, but it's an ancient design.....and on it goes.....and I have flown just about every EDF foamie on the market....it's my job to see if they are any good....the Alfa stuff doesn't stand out....2 years ago maybe.....not now.

You obviously like the Alfa Mig....great.....but I think you are way out describing other stuff as poor.....especially as set up is everything with EDF....and with the greatest of respect, we have no idea how you set them up!? Iv'e had bad experiences with EDF Malcolm, many people have, but there are so many good ones around now, your EDF experience is almost guaranteed to be a good one if you stick to the basic rules of EDF, about the only ones generally that need to be viewed with suspicion are RTF's.

blimey, didn't know my little old post would start a brisk discussion !     As a first timer to electric EDF i am looking for a good package 'off the shelf ' per se.  i'm not too proud to buy ARF as I don't profess to understand electrickery at all - its witchcraft and wizardry to me !.  I don't want to buy something which requires upgrades just to make it fly well. I am picking up lots of info from the electric forum but want a good first time experience. I picked out the kyosho models as they are a well known manufacturer and  they come with motor,esc and servo's which obviously (i hope) match the model quite well. Also i want something which hand launches (don't want to mess around with catapult ramp launches. ).  Am i being overly picky ?    Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm, well, assuming that both the motor and fan are a known efficient unit, 200w per lb to have it fly like a jet MINIMUM, however, unlike prop driven models, if you fit a bad/fan motor combo, then 200w will not translate into thrust, just a lot of noise, so until you get a bit more experience with EDF, stick with a known good set up in a known good airframe......or it could be one of those expensive, "why did I bother" jobs!

150w per lb really, really should be the minimum

Hi All,

I wanted a proven, reasonably priced EDF that had the main bits in the box to stop an EDF newbie getting a bald patch scratching his head over it all.

I went for the Perkins Tigershark and for £65 got the model complete with matched b/l motor, fan unit and esc. I maidened it on Monday and it goes really well, plenty of speed and manoeuvrablility. I did follow a long thread on another forum on the sensible mods others had incorporated and chose to add 2 of them on mine. The manual pictures are a little small but the forum and review below made it a no brainer really.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/29079/Copy_of_DSC01745.JPG

The moldings weren't great but it ended up looking good in the end and climbed away from a hand launch briskly into a fair climb. The basic set up enables about 85mph top end (according to others that have done all the fancy computer speed calculations) and I reckon that was about right. I found it a good starter in EDF and not too silly a speed, enabling me to always be thinking ahead of the model, 80+ mph on a 27" model is enough to begin with, plus it flew really solid at part throttle as well so I didn't go much over 1/2 throttle a lot of the time and got the feel of it safely.

My first battery was still going strong on 8 minutes when I done a few practice approaches, then next time kept the wings level, shut the throttle and after a surprising glide length, just slid it in on the grass.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=811

The video shows the type of performance I got on the supplied electrics and with a little beefing up in suspect areas, mine came out 1/2oz heavier than the review model at 20 1/2oz...

You could do worse for a first timer, all I needed in addition was 3 micro 9oz servos, a dual conversion mini Rx and some lipos. I expect like all these EDF foamies, they're probably a one crash wonder though, so a more expensive model to begin with could end on a first shaky hand launch..!

Good luck with whatever you choose.........