The Bolt chuck Glider

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry to bring this thread back from the deadsmiley but I have a couple of questions

I have tried to straighten the wing with weights held flat for a few days and found that the wings just pops back to roughly the original polyhedral angle. Did you overbend it to remove the bend or use the spar to keep it flat? would the creases in the bottom surface not come out over time?

Unfortunately I damaged the wing using a steam iron to try and straighten it as the the foam is less heat resistant than the stuff they use for the lidl model. I should have tried on a scrap piece first. I will be getting a replacement bolt glider for a second attempt.

I have thought about cutting a slice from the topside and inserting a foam piece and gluing flat before putting a spar in, but that does seem less than ideal.

Does anyone know what foam its made from as it doesn't seem to like standard CA unlike the lidl glider I have. I do have uhu por so will use that instead.

Thanks

Guy

Weights on the wings didn't work for me either. I gently and carefully over bent the wings, just take your time and you can feel the foam give and I didn't end up with any creases. I then used the carbon spars to keep the wings dead flat.

You need foam safe CA for most of these models, I use it in combination with UHU Por and also epoxy depending on the application.

I straightened the wings of my Lidle glider that I converted into a twin motor plane by cutting part way through them then filling the v with PU adhesive( Gorilla glue type of thing). Held it all down flat ,clamped to a board while the glue dried and it has worked a treat. I suggest some masking tape under the glue line to make sure it does not get stuck to the board! David

Posted by Guy Hamilton-Fletcher on 15/09/2019 22:58:47:

Hi, sorry to bring this thread back from the deadsmiley but I have a couple of questions

I have tried to straighten the wing with weights held flat for a few days and found that the wings just pops back to roughly the original polyhedral angle. Did you overbend it to remove the bend or use the spar to keep it flat? would the creases in the bottom surface not come out over time?

Unfortunately I damaged the wing using a steam iron to try and straighten it as the the foam is less heat resistant than the stuff they use for the lidl model. I should have tried on a scrap piece first. I will be getting a replacement bolt glider for a second attempt.

I have thought about cutting a slice from the topside and inserting a foam piece and gluing flat before putting a spar in, but that does seem less than ideal.

Does anyone know what foam its made from as it doesn't seem to like standard CA unlike the lidl glider I have. I do have uhu por so will use that instead.

Thanks

Guy

Hi, Hardly bringing this thread back from the dead, Only 40 days since the last post.

Anyway to answer your question my building room is the loft so possible the hot weather helped here.

And i did rely on the spar holding the wing in place and it worked perfectly no creases on the bottom of the wing and still holds true to this day.

I have bought two more and a cheep Chinese copy from eBay to compare the difference .

This time i want to make a more aerobatic model and have a powered version.

Steve.

• 5 months later...

If I could ask what control throws did you guys use for the elevator. I have built it as an all moving tail plane similar to Steve Jones's model.

Also what position did you end up using for the Center of Gravity ? I forgot to record the original position before getting halfway through the conversion.

will post some pics when done

Guy

Posted by Guy Hamilton-Fletcher on 26/02/2020 20:45:03:

If I could ask what control throws did you guys use for the elevator. I have built it as an all moving tail plane similar to Steve Jones's model.

Also what position did you end up using for the Center of Gravity ? I forgot to record the original position before getting halfway through the conversion.

will post some pics when done

Guy

Hi, This video gives you all the information you need for the powered version i did.

But i you do not want to pause the video to read the info the Tailplane movement is 20 mm each way i also have 35% Expo to tame it down in the middle. Cog 35mm from the Leading Edge. 10 degrees down thrust.

Hope this helps Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 26/02/2020 22:46:33