The Bolt chuck Glider

• 3 weeks later...

Well in that case Welcome Guys,

This one will be a bit of a scrap box challenge as i will have to make do with what i already have to hand.

Ok, i already made a start on the wings but i come to that.

1st of i will show you what you get in the box,

The Tail plane is thin and flexible it already has elevators embossed into them.tb tailplane.jpg

So they will need a carbon stiffener or maybe covered with glass cloth.

Steve

The Body,

This is well finished as is all the parts and the Body is a lot wider than i expected, But this is a good thing as that means there will be plenty of room to put Radio Gear in.

tb fuzz2.jpg

The cockpit is not a separate part, it has just been painted

tb fuzz.jpg

And a weight has been added to the nose via a plug.

tb fuzz3.jpg

Which you can see here.

Steve.

Ok now onto the wings,

The wing come in two half and have what looks like a polyhedral in them due to the wing tips that curve upwards.

Which is great for a free flight model but not what i want from a RC Model.

Now thinking about the conversion this could be done in several different ways.

Wingerons i do not think will work to well here as the wings are long and narrow.

So if wings are to be left as they are i guess you could go for rudder and elevator control.

Or you could split the Tail plane and control the model via Tailerons.

Or go for conventional Ailerons Rudder Elevator.

And of coarse with or without a motor.

Steve.

Wings,

So i left them weighted flat down for a couple of days to see if they would stay that way which they did.

So no need to applied heat which could distort the finish.

I had to hand a Carbon tube which was 6mm in diameter, so i cut this into half giving me two lengths at 440mm.

i use a router to cut a slot into which the spar would fit into and this was placed 80mm from the trailing edge.

And into one half of the wing tube i glued a smaller Carbon tube to act as a wing joiner this is 240mm long with 120mm left sticking out to go into the other wing tube.

tb wing.jpg

Steve.

Wing pt2,

I also had to hand some used 9 gram servos, So i used again my router to make a channel into which the servo cable would go in while also making a hole in the wing for the servo.

Now this was placed in line with the pre marked Aileron which continues up the curved wing tip which of coarse will not work as a Aileron so this had to be cut short . I discovered that their is a line left behind from the mold of the tip so i used this as my cut line. Also worth noting is that the hinge needs opening up.

tb wing5a.jpg

Steve.

Posted by Steven Shaw on 23/12/2018 17:33:58:

Do you intend to add a propulltion system as well as making the control surfaces controllable? Similar to your LIDIXL?

Edited By Steven Shaw on 23/12/2018 17:35:00

Hi Steven,

I am still thinking on that one.

If i do, it will probably be on the front, i already have a folding Prop that would do the job.

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 24/12/2018 17:46:49

Hi again,

I managed to find some wire to make up a torque rod a bit rusty but a quick clean up and is just right for the job.

tb tailplane1.jpg While it was in one piece i cut a slot into which i could place a carbon tube and wire i then used a wide flat sanding plate to use as a guide to cut the Tail plane into 3 separate pieces.

tb tailplane3.jpg

I used 1/16 ply to make a control horn and 1/64th ply on the exposed edges and 4mm washers in hind sight i guess i should of used two and not 4 washers.

tb tailplane6.jpg

Glued into place for a all moving Tail Plane.

Steve.