The Bolt chuck Glider

Posted by Steven Shaw on 30/12/2018 23:22:18:

Very interesting project - how did you make the snake pathways through the fuse?

Hi Steve,

I used a brass tube with one end sharpened to act as a cutter.

Same as i did on the Lidl glider wings.

I probably could of done the same on these wings but with it being such a long way in to cut, i decided not to tempt fate.

I could also of cut slots in the side of the body down to the tail and used thinner wire snakes.

Their are so many ways i could of gone with this build,

I am going to leave the rudder for the time being as i am not sure the surface area is big enough and so i may add a bit more Depron or Balsa to the rear to increase the surface area of the Fin.

Steve.

Hi, and Happy New Year to you all.

So it is now ready for it`s 1`st flight.

tb cockpit.jpg

The servo is now in place and working. i lined the Cockpit with 1/64th ply and added magnets to keep in place and not shown in this picture added a sticky tie holder which i have tied some string too so i do not lose it. As in the past while connecting battery the wind would blow my cockpit away.

tb finished.jpg

Added the Stickers.

tb finished1.jpg

Not put any stickers on the fin yet as i am not sure if i will need to modify it yet .

So ready to go.

Steve

Posted by McG 6969 on 01/01/2019 18:58:48:

... sjeesh... this conversion was a real fast one, Stephen. I just got the time to read your postings and you're done already.

Wishing you all the best for the Season and of course for the maiden of your Bolt.

Cheers

Chris

Thank you Chris,

I could have done it faster, But for more important things getting in the way wink.

I must say i am pleased with how it has turned out. It does not feel like a kids chuck glider more like a Hobby King special.

I guess i will have to see how well it flies now.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Posted by SR 71 on 26/02/2019 03:28:15:

The video would be better if you could see it

Yes it would of been a lot better if their was no cloud cover to mess up the camera focus and with a hat cam i can not see if i have it positioned correctly .

And it would be best viewed on a pc rather than a phone or tablet .

But 4 minutes in i have done a digital zoom in and 5 and a half minutes in i fly closer.

I hope to get out again soon and hopefully the sky will be clearer .

One thing i can say from the moment it was in the sky i flew far better than i could of imagened .

And i did not have to alter any trims or make any adjustments a big difference to the Lidl glider i was flying just before it.

I am well pleased with it.

Steve smiley

• 1 month later...

Here is a video i took today at Pule Hill in 20 / 25 mph winds.

Later the wind got even stronger up to 35 mph so i added 230g of ballast.

And then it flew really fast.

Ballast is needed for stronger winds that is for sure, i also think i need to increase the size of the Ailerons too.

Steve.

Hi, just to give you an idea of how windy it was on the day. In-between me flying my bolt this guy was flying his Pitbull 2.

A 3 meter glider.

I think he was impressed as how well my £20 glider coped with the wind.

Sorry despite having a good chat with the Pilot of the Pitbull 2 i forgot to ask his name.
Steve.

Edited By Stephen Jones on 29/03/2019 20:48:30

Inspired by this thread and having seen a Bolt in my local model shop, I jumped in feet first.

I should say I am just returning to aeromodelling after a 40 something year break and find myself working with some very unfamiliar materials, so if I were to do another conversion, there are one or two things I would do differently, mostly for aesthetic reasons.

bolt 1.jpg

dscn1898.jpg

dscn1899.jpg

dscn1900.jpg

dscn1902.jpg

The last picture is my first time out, at Middle Hope, Sand Point. Unfortunately the wind swung round to completely the wrong direction and in addition there was a film crew up there. I will have another go next week.

bolt n mini.jpg

Hi, Neil

And welcome to this forum i am sure you will get plenty of good advice here should you need it.

Your Bolt looks good, as you say just waiting for the right conditions.

I had to wait a long time before i had a chance to test out my Bolt.

May i ask if your wings detach or are they glued in.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome and the idea.

At present the wings can detach. There is a joining piece between the two wing tubes and two rare earth magnets in the wing roots. If they come out too easily on 'landing', I will use your method.

The great thing with a model like this is the starting price, it allows a lot of experimentation and if things work well, you end up with a fine model, if not... start again.

Neil

Posted by Neil MacKinnon 1 on 30/03/2019 20:34:11:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the welcome and the idea.

At present the wings can detach. There is a joining piece between the two wing tubes and two rare earth magnets in the wing roots. If they come out too easily on 'landing', I will use your method.

The great thing with a model like this is the starting price, it allows a lot of experimentation and if things work well, you end up with a fine model, if not... start again.

Neil

Or as the saying goes nothing ventured nothing gained.wink.

I can see why yours is lighter now. Good Luck on the Maiden.

Steve.

• 3 months later...

Well it's been a while with a couple of false starts but FINALLY there was a 10 MPH coming off the Bristol Channel and over Middle Hope today, so me and the Bolt (and a Lidl and a Z84) went off to see what is what.

The Bolt flies really well, smooth and with good control authority, but compared to the Lidl it was more sensitive to the lumps and bumps in the air, this is obviously due to the wing chord and the glider weight, or lack of it. It did require a fair bit of concentration due to the speed and sensitivity, that said it is very easy to fly compared to the Z84.

One slightly worrying aspect of having wings that just plug in is that when doing a close fly by I could hear the wings flexing / creaking slightly where they pass through the fuselage. They did not move so I am probably worrying about nothing, but I will see how it goes and possibly join the two halves together.

I had several very good flights and am extremely pleased with the conversion, but had to return home when the Tx battery started to run down a little too much, otherwise I would be up there still.

I am Glad to hear that you managed to get out with the Bolt and that it Flew ok for You.

I Know it is twice the price of the Lidl Glider, But in my opinion The Bolt is twice the model and yes it does fly fast.

and will fly in stronger winds.

I add weight for the stronger winds and it can keep up with the best of them i do not understand why it is not more popular.

Steve.

I agree Steve, it is a straightforward model to convert, there is plenty of room for both r/c and for variations in the method and style of the conversion, and unlike the Lidl it is easily available all year round.

I found quite a contrast between my Lidl and the Bolt, it floats less and drives more which is why I said it required a lot more concentration to fly, maybe not for the experienced pilot, but certainly for someone like myself returning after a long break.

I have had the wings off this afternoon and may beef up the joint a little as I am not sure the wings in their present form would enjoy the rigours of Crook Peak on a blustery day. I'll have a little dig about in the workshop and see if I have some suitable bits'n'bobs.

• 1 month later...

Hi Neil and Steve. I have a similar 1.2m chuckie to convert. It's the Flybear FX-707.

Unlike the Bolt It does have a removable canopy with two steel balls in it . It has a carbon tube embedded in each wing half and a thin carbon rod as the joiner. Might try a pitcheron conversion but might have to beef up the carbon tubes.

Neil. Looks like you are in my area as a group of us fly at Middle Hope,Maes Knoll,Bratton Camp etc. Check out my YT channel videos under "heady2008" Let me know if you ever fancy some company on your adventures in rc slope soaring

It's a great slope especially when you consider that you have a choice of three slopes. Shame all are facing north. Luckily for me my local slope is at Maes Knoll and suits SW-W winds. You are welcome to join us up there and I've set up a group emailing list so local slope nuts can post when they are planning to go sloping off. One member,Alan, comes up from Yatton area

Hi Andy,

I have seen some pictures on the webb of the fx 707 which is a updated version of the 706 .

From what i have seen the 706 looks very much like the bolt. The Bolt has narrow wings and is fast compared to the Lidl Glider.

Now fx 707 looks like the wings do not sweep back would it be possible to post some pictures for us to look at or maybe start a fresh post on the conversion of the Fx 707.

Cheers Steve....