Mystery E-glider

Bob Bertram

Advert

Peter and Percy,

Many thanks for your thoughts but it is not an Electric Breeze unfortunately, have had a look at the plan copy but it is very similar. Tailplane does sit on top of the fuselage and does have an elevator. It is a two-piece wing with a single metal bar joiner and there are chord-wise ribs as well as diagonal. Overall though it does look extremely like one.

Richard,

It is because you have such good taste.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Gordon and Rich, looks like you have hit the nail on the head. Have had a look on the 'net at the pictures. Flew it this afternoon a few times, great fun but it had the habit of putting its nose down almost terminally. After messing about with changing the CoG which didn't seem to make any difference, ended up packing the leading edge of the wing up a couple of millimetres or so and then she behaved herself and flew very sedately. Anyone have the correct position for the CoG?

Cheers

Bob

I also had an Electrafly which had the same problem. The instructions stated that you should start with the dihedral as stated in the plan and then, if you wished, you could reduce it by unbending the wing joiner slightly. The problem only appeared when I took the latter option. It would definitely tuck under when the speed went up in a dive. I finally brainstormed myself into deciding that it was caused by the joiner rotating on the holes as the drag increased thus allowing the wing to sweep back. Then when you tried to pull out, it would snap back leaving you pulling out of a steep dive with much too much elevator on - resulting in a folded wing. I never got the chance to try it but, if this is the case, then an easy fix would be to epoxy the joiner into one wing half so that it can't rotate. Might be worth a try.

Electrafly was a nice flyer when it was set up right.

When flown two channel with the quick flip up on the elevator to switch the motor on and off that came with the kit not so good.

Had one jam in full up elevator with power on. Wound its self into ever tighter turns until the wing folded and the fuzz plumeted from a great hight at full power. Motor and battery were well deep in the ground.

Thanks Pete and JD, I was thinking of using a straight piece of bar. A friend did the same on another e-glider with a polyhedral wing and it works a treat. However as I mentioned previously, once I raised the l.e. of the wing it flew really well. A lot of fun to be had trying different things.

Cheers

Bob