X9D+ Double Trouble

Ady Hayward

Hi Folks

It have a tx issue that I can't resolve. I tried updating my Taranis X9D+ so it could be compatible with the latest receivers and somehow have corrupted the bootloader such that I can't enter the bootloader as when I enter the bootloader by the trims inwards/ power on method the TX goes white screen with constant vibration/buzzing, and I cannot see the Tx via USB on either laptop/PC or via the Companion app.

I had V 2.16 and was hoping to update to X9DP V2.2.2-20180525 and update the bootloader accordingly.

If anyone has a cure for this that can be passed on it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

From memory, Ady, you can write the firmware to the TX by connecting the USB cable while the TX is switched off.

With Tx still switched off you just write the firmware to Tx using companion.

Remember that you MUST have selected the correct model of Taranis, in companion settings, BEFORE downloading the firmware from the net. That's the only way to get the right version for your Tx.

I seem to remember that the hardest bit is getting the USB drivers to work so the PC sees the Tx.

Ask here if you're having trouble at that point.

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the USB is not recognised by my Win10 PC or Win10 Laptop. I have tried the Zadig utility and other recommended USB drivers to no avail. I can write to the Micro SD card if connected directly to the computers.but that is the extent of my USB connectivity.

I had read the same on the Open TX forums and tried every port on both machines on 3 different cables. I found one cable was dodgy but the others were faultless with other devices but no joy with the Taranis crying 2

I get the windows sound to indicate the USB is connected but nothing is seen on the PC. In the Devices window it indicates the drivers are loaded but doesn't show the TX or drives. Been trying to resolve this since last Tuesday and its driving me crazy. face 24

Yes Trebor. A good find. I've used some of the micro USB cables from Poundland and not had any issues with them.

Posted by Ady Hayward on 12/01/2019 16:01:27:It have a tx issue that I can't resolve. I tried updating my Taranis X9D+ so it could be compatible with the latest receivers.....

??? OpenTx has little or nothing to do with receiver compatibility - that's all down to the firmware for the RF module, which is an entirely different thing!

From memory (and its quite a while since I did it!), you *can* upgrade the RF firmware using recent versions of OpenTx, but your original post implies that you were under a false impression. Or am I reading it incorrectly?

If its any consolation, I've just had a similar experience upgrading my new X10S from FrSky to OpenTx. Although I managed it OK eventually, I had to adopt a method contradictory to that shown in the "bible" and all the YouTube videos.

--

Pete

Many thanks for the link James. It's looking useful. The whole episode started when I found that my Taranis would not bind to the receivers produced recently so the intention was to update the radio to the 2.2.2 version and then update my older receivers to the later firmwares but stumbled at the first hurdle.

As I hinted in my earlier post, simply switching to a more recent OpenTx won't help, though it may make life a bit easier.

You will also need to update the firmware in the transmitter RF module, as well as your older receivers.

But get OpenTx sorted first, then come back and ask about the rest!

There's a guide here: http://dronehitech.com/en/frsky-taranis-firmware-update/

but it only works with recent versions of OpenTx.

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 13/01/2019 16:35:38