Ruckus

David Soper

Have just taken delivery of the Ruckus, bench testing it as one does, Intend to fly with 4s battery .. the ESC after a few mins running is really hot, that worries me!

Its branded as able to run on either 3 or 4 s battery, also strugging to work out how to fit battery, esc, rx and all the wires into such a small compartment

Advert

1: How much current is it drawing? Is it more than (or very close to) the current rating of the esc?

2: By a 'few' minutes just how many? Is that with full throttle?

If the current draw is higher than the esc then you need to step down on ether pitch or diameter of the prop to keep the current down to the esc and motor rating and preferably no higher than 80%..

I don't know how you fly but I rarely use full throttle for more than a few seconds (probably 30 absolute tops) so holding full throttle on the ground for several minutes isn't really a valid test. In any case you'll not be getting the same amount of cooling over the esc when the model is restrained. Also there was an official mod to increase esc cooling. I'm not sure exactly what it was because I opted for a Wot 4 (which I fly with electric propulsion) rather than a Ruckus (I'm a Riot fan) but I remember seeing a reference to it on the Century UK web site.

In any case a Watt meter is your friend for the set up.

Geoff

"bench testing it as one does"... Does one? I don't.

Stop "bench testing" and worrying, just prepare the Ruckus and go and fly it the way the man says.

Could I observe that if you hadn't been "bench testing"... you wouldn't be worrying...

My Ruckus flies superbly. I found it to be superior to the Ripmax foamies, based on the half a dozen or so that I've had. It's far more robust and more predictable than a foam Acrowot, with much better visibility.

As I mentioned, the Ruckus flies superbly on 3S so, if you're struggling to install 4S, why bother? At the moment, the only result you're getting is worry(!). Finally, the "small compartment" you mention is far bigger than on the Ripmax foamies, and allows plenty of room for shifting the battery, to fine tune the CG.