Prop rotation

Thought i would make use of some reasonable weather yesterday and take my twin for an outing.

All preflight complete I opened up the throttle(s) and it did not move. The grass was deep , a bit damp and the ground soft so perhaps the wheels were just too small. RPM reading was normal so nothing else left it must be bogged down. Giving it s shove produced nothing. I couldn’t really believe it but as it was getting colder I abandoned and went home.

The light bulb did not actually come on until I went to bed. Although I have the motor connections colour coded and connected them up as always I suddenly remembered I had had the ESC wires disconnected when I put the rpm sensor back on board. I must have swapped the connections over upstream of my colour coding. Yep props were rotating the wrong way and I had not noticed.

You don’t half feel a plonker sometimes!

Tim.

Advert

That's what post start engine/motor checks are so valuable. For an IC it is obvious when the engine is running backwards because the exhaust goes the wrong way. Holding an electric and powering up is good and you can also check your failsafe is working correctly, You do check your failsafe before every flying session for every model you intend to fly don't you? It is a requirement of the ANO that the pilot in command must be satisfied that the flight can be completed safely before taking off.

However, we've all been there. The important thing is to learn from experience and don't let it catch you out again.

Most ic engines will only run one way [ unless modified ] but reed valve types like the COX motors were happy to run in either direction. With the excitment of getting one going and the need to launch one's free flight model before the fuel ran out a rather short flight ensued.

Always check before release .....

Did the control surfaces waggle when the sticks move, check.

Did it make a right sort of noises, check.

Go for it ......

Anyone got some glue or tape ..... surprise

I think many of us have been there, and put up with the banter smiley

I managed 3 out of the 4 motors turning the right way, (B-17), just cleared the hedge before a, 'what the hecks wrong with this thing' landing.

Ray

You may feel a bit of a plonker, dont we all sometimes ?, but not as much as the guy on here some years ago says he took his running ic plane out to the patch revved it up to do his checks , and it went backwards !!

He said the problem was that he had put the prop on backwards !! ( Think about it ! )He posted very little after that

I wonder if it was a pusher!

cheers