Tony Oneilll Renaissance

this is the instrument panel i made. the article in the rcme and experience of scale models helped. first i painted the inside of the holes silver and then the outside black. i downloaded the harvard instruments and resized them to fit behind the holes. next a thin piece of plastic was glued on the back of the panel using pva and allowed to dry. the instruments i wanted were then cut out with an overlap and glued in place. the lights are pin heads trimmed and stuck on. then the black paint was touched up.

hope i'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs as the saying goes!

1551721937947.jpg

fuse3.jpgthis is progress so far on the fuselage. got both sides together and starting to fill in bits and pieces. as i am going for electric power i put in a motor mount consisting of 4 pieces of M4 threaded rod and nylock nuts. these have turned out stiffer than i expected but if the torque of the motor with a prop on looks like moving it i will add in a stiffener.

fuse1.jpg

Posted by tony oneill 1 on 06/03/2019 15:24:54:

hope i'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs as the saying goes!

Don't say that, we are growing up in the ARTF age & all the little tips & wrinkles will be lost if builders of models don't pass on their knowledge.yes

1551721937947.jpg

Hi chris, on the rear of the fuselage i followed the build log. I only put in the vertical spacer at former 6 before i joined the sides with the firewall and all formers to F4. As i dont have a building jig i clamped the front and pulled the rear together with a clamp and no glue. I used a 6mm stringer down the slots in the top of the formers to check the alignment to the tail. When i was happy i glued the very end and then fitted the triangular 6mm parts. The rest of the formers fitted exactly in place then the diagonals were fitted. Hope thats not too long lol.

fuse front.jpgLast pics till the weekend lol. A view of the tail, still to be completed by trimming the longerons to fit the tail when i make it. Also a view of the front. Built this up and fitted all stringers. This has went together really quickly, i have enjoyed building this part its good to work with larger pieces that fit really well.fuse rear.jpg

rudder.jpgThanks for the kind comments. Chris, i'll see your gruffalo and raise you a 1999 original beanie baby for the pilot lol. On the building front did a bit today on the rudder. The realised i have made a mistake with the elevators. The rudder looks to have a 6 mm piece for the hinge block but the elevator core seems to have a 2mm strip either side at the hinge. Have you or peter noticed this? I have glued on the thin strips on the elevator so will now have to do the hinge as infil bits. If i'm correct might be worth a mention in the main blog.pilot.jpg

Here is progress on the tail so far. I am not entirely happy with this as i think i could have done a better job. If i was doing it again i wpuld change the following

1. The tailfin would have a solid 25mm by 6 mm piece right along the hinge line and then i would build up from that to the front. The large fill piece i would shape so as it would be one solid piece. I took the plan at face value and built it as two sections and joined them

2. The elevator i would cut a piece of 2mm strip the whole length of both cores, position them to the correct width of the tail, glue them down and then put another 2mm thick strip along the top. The centre section could be cut out later. Then i would but the small strips on.

3. The plan is not clear but i think the stabiliser fits on top of the tail? Might need clarification on the actual detail before glueing if anyone has any thoughts.

The parts all feel strong, but as my landings are still not great thats how i will be rebuilding the tail!

tail 1.jpg

fuse 3.jpgDid a bit more on the build and finished the tail end, but not hinges yet. Started to sheet in the fuselage. Noticed a discrepancy between the build article and the drawing in the magazine. Article says top sheeting 2mm and drawing says 3mm. I went with 3mm but it is a bit thick. 2mm might be better. Progres pics:tail pinned.jpg

Hi Tony

A little help please if you could. I bought the wood kit but am still waiting for some of it to be delivered. On the 6th of March you posted a photo and corresponded with Chris over the centre stinger that runs from F3 back. Is this made up of a 6mm stinger with triangular bits on each side. Or is it 6mm x3 sanded an planed to shape. If its triangular these could be some of the wood im waiting for.

Thanks

Jim

20190317_203508.jpg20190317_203516.jpgI carried on with the fuselage, almost finished apart from a few details. I hinged the rudder and elevator with cyano hinges but not fixed them yet, might need to separate them to cover. The battery hatch has small magnets inset into it to hold it and the plywood screw parts are used as a guide. The front hatch will be screwed on. 2mm thick balsa is a lot easier to use as a skin. I followed the method of paper template, soaked and then pinned until dry. Made the glueing a lot simpler. The windscreen is clear plastic from a shirt box with aluminium tape surround. I found some letraset with full stops, so i'm going to try them as rivets.

I doped the front hatches as i want to paint them, so i'll se if it works. Got an idea i want to try to airbrush very small rivets.

20190317_203522.jpg

Hi jim, i used a balsa stripper to cut a piece of 3mm sheet 6mm wide to fit in the slot from F3 to F7. I glued it in and then sanded it flush with the top of the formers. Then i cut a piece of 6mm sheet 25mm wide and glued this to the stringer and the top of the formers from F3 to F7. This gives a rectangular block from front to back. I used a small plane either side to shape it then finally sanded it to the correct profile. It basically follows the curve of the former. It gives strength and something to glue the sheeting to.

Hope that helps

Regards

Tony