Taping Aileron and Elevator

Another Glider project. I am putting together a large pre owned Glider for Slope.

l doubt it has ever flown. Not sure of Model, but of Discus type.

l can just see part of an old label in Fuselage which is Multiplex.

Each wing is 180cm with built in air brake and aileron, so no servos in wing and large under-camber aero foil.

Ailerions are750mm long and Elevator 650mm.

l want to tape ailerons and Elevator rather than use hinges.

In the past on smaller gliders l have used 3m type cellotape.

Any recommendation please for taping this size model

Advert

The leading edge of Ailreons and Elevator are angled at about 40 degrees.

So normal hinges no good. Guess l could use Pin hinges but never used them myself.

Any help here how to fit. The drilling of trailing edge of wing and leading edge of aileron would need to be very accurate!!!!!!

I have been useing 3M Scotch 371 CLEAR Packing Tape tear resistant and is presure sensitive so once rubed on it realy sticks, not had any problems.

blendrum tairs to easlily for me

But now have started using scotch crystal tape 600 this is good very clear and does not yellow and very good adhesion as well, get it i think you will like it                 see specs

Edited By flight1 on 03/04/2019 19:32:36

Several of my E-gliders have taped control surfaces.. I am plagued by the "step" movement in some surfaces, particularly those that move more, like flaps. For example in the case of the flap, its top surface can end up a couple of mm above the top surface of the wing. It could also be lower. I have refixed the Blenderm tape. Seems to come back. As a fix on my most recent glider that has no place to slot a hinge, I glued a mica hinge to the surface and taped over that. Seems to be holding. I may need a better system.

I eliminate the 'step movement' by taping both sides just remember to have the surface at full deflection required when running the tape in the internal v part, a bit fiddly but with a bit of practice very doable with the inside i tend not do the whole hing in one piece of tape on the longer surfaces

Posted by Geoff Daunt on 03/04/2019 19:07:34:

The leading edge of Ailreons and Elevator are angled at about 40 degrees.

So normal hinges no good. Guess l could use Pin hinges but never used them myself.

Any help here how to fit. The drilling of trailing edge of wing and leading edge of aileron would need to be very accurate!!!!!!

Geoff, I've used Robart pin hinges for a recent build. The ailerons had to be top hinged with required drilling without a guide but provided you mark both the wing and aileron with where to drill it was no problem. The rudder and elevator needed to be centre hinged and I used the Robart drilling jig to provide the centre. It was a piece of cake! Worth investing in a Robart drill jig to make the job really easy.

Many thanks to all for advice and the last picture.

That is the way l have taped before, so good to know using correct method.

Decided to go with taping first. Just cleaned all taping area with Alcohol and have applied 3mtape.

Looks the business and do not see it going anywhere soon.

If any subsequent issues will try the pin method.

Happy Gliding