Rx Voltage

Advert

pat, all due respect, I still do not see why you have said "acting like a linear reg". I don't think we can draw conclusion as to what exactly is wrong yet, all we know is that the output is low with no load, and swiftly goes south under very mild load.

DD, your SBEC should put out 5.5V with no load applied, you are seeing 4.9V, something is awry. Personally I would not be happy using the unit with an issue, but, your call, you are only planning on using the ESC function.

Nevertheless it would be worth seeing if a replacement was possible. You've paid for something that does two things and it seems unable to do one of them.

Posted by Nigel R on 03/05/2019 09:36:02:

pat, all due respect, I still do not see why you have said "acting like a linear reg". I don't think we can draw conclusion as to what exactly is wrong yet, all we know is that the output is low with no load, and swiftly goes south under very mild load.

DD, your SBEC should put out 5.5V with no load applied, you are seeing 4.9V, something is awry. Personally I would not be happy using the unit with an issue, but, your call, you are only planning on using the ESC function.

Nevertheless it would be worth seeing if a replacement was possible. You've paid for something that does two things and it seems unable to do one of them.

Nigel, the only conclusion I have drawn is that IMO the problem related in the OP matches the characteristics of a linear BEC as I described in my last post.
Not sure why you think only a mild load was being applied. I assume "waggling the sticks" means that all of the servos are operating back & forward simultaneously, which can cause as high or higher current peaks than would be normal in flight. Also if the motor was not running at the time the battery would have been at peak voltage, not a problem for a switching BEC but significant to a linear BEC.

Also the fact that there are instructions on how to wire up a UBEC, if required, in place of the built in BEC seems odd if the BEC is a switching mode type with the stated specs.

Edited By PatMc on 03/05/2019 21:46:13

To clarify Guys, "stick waggling" is basically me moving all the servos through their full range of movement in my pre flight checks. I move each surface to check direction, then I move all servos together....That is when everything locked up, like a loss of signal/brownout/failsafe. When I did the same with only 3 servos plugged in, there was no problem....add the 4th......Lock out.

D.D.

• 2 weeks later...

For all those that replied and helped, I flew the model successfully on Tuesday. Radiolink gear was great, Excellent value, 12 channels + sbus + Rx + telemetry for 140 notes, Cosmic !!

The ESC performed OK on the motor side of things on an 8 minute flight.

So thanks again everyone. wink

D.D.