Motor query

Advert

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

Have a look at this thread where two of us have built these and used a 4258 sized 500kv motor.

We both use a 15x10 prop. Danny runs his on 5S 5000 lipo I use 6S 4500.

My ESC is an 80A unit.

(Oh by the way, in case you didn't know, using all capitals in a forum post is generally considered shouting).

• 10 months later...

I am returning to this amazing hobby of ours after a very long time and need to find out about the latest techniques using the 2.4Ghz spectrum, especially exactly what FHSS & FASST is all about. Graupner use the acronym HOTT so I am not completely in the dark regarding frequency hopping but I am not at all sure how these different systems work.

I need to know which is deemed to be the most reliable and also which will tell me what is going on using telemetry providing information such as altitude, battery life, current consumption etc.

I will almost certainly be flying electric only, but want to be confident that I can maintain control at a decent distance.

A ARTF powered sail plane is something I have in mind although I would also like to be able to switch to an ARTF Seagull scale model in the future. Having read a few of the latest issues of RCM & E which have covered RC systems from the cheapest to the professional level I have noted that the reviews all seem to identify a potential weakness in one area or another of a number of the main manufacturers which is a little disconcerting.

Perhaps I am being a tad pessimistic but by nature I'm a "half empty glass" type who reads too much into a particular comment regarding system reliability.

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding technical details relating to the aforementioned operating systems that would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you whoever that maybe.

Best regards,

Mike H

You do not need to know what those acronyms mean however be aware that each manufacturer of 2.4 Ghz equipment use their own protocol ( Futaba FAAST for example) and the will not work with other makes of kit.

All major manufacturers equipment is reliable and even most of the budget priced kit is good.

Visit a local club and see what is being used there, handle some Txs and see how they feel then decide.

Good advice above but be aware that some will push you toward a set that does a lot more than you need and therefore more complicated to set up [ seen it happen many times ] and then the new or returning modeler has to get someone else to do the set up.

If your long time ago was before computer radios you may wish to remain with the more basic radio.

"want to be confident that I can maintain control at a decent distance."

Any reasonable brand will do that.

Two most popular brands I would say are Spektrum and FrSky, both for good reasons.

For my part, I've been very happy with the Spektrum kit I have used - an older (budget) DX6i and newer (mid price, I guess) DX8. Latest Spektrum receivers (AR410 and AR620 in particular) are well priced, have some telemetry built in, and a range of 1 mile or thereabouts.

And there are equally lots of happy FrSky users on here.

Futaba has fans, but seem quite pricey these days.

Hitec are not developing new TX or RX.

Not many using Graupner in the UK, as far as I know.

Then there are the real budget offerings, and some mega price (Jeti) outfits.