Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones

Advert

Oh dear.

Mr Ellis demonstrates that he does not appear to understand that as Minister of State he should apply critical thinking, not simply regurgitate the party line. As a Minister of State he should be able to think for himself. Really must do better (though admittedly with the examples around in Government just now he probably feels he is doing well ! )

PWC's 'estimate' is ludicrous pie in the sky stuff, as he would realise with a few moment's thought. They have taken the most optimistic figures from Amazon and others without applying any thoughts on practicality. Rather similar to what seems to happen far too often in auditing - figures are accepted without enough challenge.

At least some folk are listening and understanding. Well done those who got through to Mr Loughton. I shall try sending another note to my local MP, who so far has not responded at all.

for Cuban 8 above?? the person who really should be giving it to them large is the PATRON OF THE B.M.F.A. he should be called upon to take our side in this mess if not why bother having him we may as well have chubby brown at least we could have a laugh also I think this may have stated with the phrase unmaned aircraft we should have stood our ground and said MODEL AIRCRAFT unmaned aircraft lumps all things that fly without a human together not good its all a play on words

Good point, John, and that card has been played in the past.

Protocol dictates that at a meeting with government officials, they must provide someone of equivalent "rank" to your representative.

I think it was possibly during the CB crisis that the BMFA dragged our President (?) - a then very senior former RAF man - along to a meeting, and the Home Office had to provide a civil servant of equal stature.

Not sure how much it achieved at the time, but we did eventually get what we wanted - 35 MHz!

--

Pete

Posted by Steve J on 12/07/2019 10:27:50:

I finally forced myself to listen to Ms. Vere's evidence.

Contrary to what she said, the EU delegated regulation does not require all UA over 250g to have electronic identification and geofencing. Only UA with automatic flight modes are required to have direct remote identification and geo-awareness.

I got the impression that the meeting with the associations didn't go very well...

Steve

Steve: Have you got chapter and verse on this? ie: at what time in the feed she said it, and also a link to the document with a reference location?

I ask, because my understanding of proceedings like this (and I am not a lawyer!) is that misleading a parliamentary committee is as serious as misleading parliament and demands at least an apology and correction or a resignation!

We need to feed this info to David Phipps so that he can follow it up. If I can get the precise timings and locations, I tempted to write to the committee chairman myself to complain about it!

--

Pete

Posted by Steve J on 13/07/2019 18:04:36:

I'm hoping that she won't survive the ministerial reshuffle that is coming at the end of the month and we have a more sympathetic aviation minister in August.

You and me both! And probably a lot of others, too!

But please keep us updated on this. You obviously are more across it than me, and we need all the firepower we can muster to try and get a reasonable outcome.

If she has mislead a committee, she could be in serious trouble!

--

Pete

I've just ploughed for the second time through the Baroness's evidence here:https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1a8ec4dc-78a8-4b76-9dce-ff663ad71067

The parts that specially touch on model flying are at the roughly following times into the session: 10:44 (electronic conspicuity), 10:57 (again), 11:19 (electronic i.d. mandatory, retro-fitting?), 11:22 (clubs registering for many pilots), 11:26 (beeping drone in wrong place easy to ID, nothing about non-beeping one!), 11:28 (geo-fencing now mandatory), 11:33 (is the offence owning or flying?), 11:34 (why is our safety record ignored?), 11:35 (the idiot flying near LHR).

The fact that she keeps referring to what we do as a 'hobby' rather than a sport, which it is, can't be helping us either.

Posted by Martin Dilly 1 on 13/07/2019 19:22:28:

The fact that she keeps referring to what we do as a 'hobby' rather than a sport, which it is, can't be helping us either.

Many people (including many model flyers) do seem reluctant to accept that Aeromodelling/Model Flying is a recognised sport and if ever there was a time to ditch the hobby or pastime moniker, now is that time.

Martyn

A point I have made to my MP (Leader of the House) is something that has never been mentioned at all; Local Bye laws.

When i started flying some 8 years back I took the trouble to look at our local Bye laws and they ban the flying of all model aircraft above 100g within the borough. I live close to Dartmoor National Park and their Bye Laws are that all powered models are banned but they welcome model gliders.

I am sure that this is not unique to our town.

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 19/07/2019 22:29:03

Posted by TigerOC on 19/07/2019 22:28:24:

A point I have made to my MP (Leader of the House) is something that has never been mentioned at all; Local Bye laws.

When i started flying some 8 years back I took the trouble to look at our local Bye laws and they ban the flying of all model aircraft above 100g within the borough. I live close to Dartmoor National Park and their Bye Laws are that all powered models are banned but they welcome model gliders.

I am sure that this is not unique to our town.

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 19/07/2019 22:29:03

I also live close to Dartmoor, but Torbay Council appears to take a more enlightened approach. Parkies who have approached model flyers using public land for silent flight and electric models have indicated that as long as the pilot has BMFA insurance, they are happy to let them continue. They probably wouldn't be so happy with a noisy IC model, but as long as common sense prevails, there appears to be no problem! (Unlike 50-odd years ago when the C/L club I belonged to got kicked off public land by a parky!)

--

Pete

I see that the new Minister for Transport is Grant Shapps. IIRC he is a keen aviation enthusiast, holds a PPL and has his own 'plane. He has been a staunch defender of General Aviation against intrusive legislation, and at the back of my mind is that he has also been a friend of model flying. Does anyone else remember this?

Anyway, now that we have an aviation enthusiast in the job, maybe - just maybe - common sense will prevail!

--

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Peter Christy on 25/07/2019 14:01:54:

I see that the new Minister for Transport is Grant Shapps. IIRC he is a keen aviation enthusiast, holds a PPL and has his own 'plane. He has been a staunch defender of General Aviation against intrusive legislation, and at the back of my mind is that he has also been a friend of model flying. Does anyone else remember this?

Anyway, now that we have an aviation enthusiast in the job, maybe - just maybe - common sense will prevail!

--

Pete

In fact as Chairman of that Committee he actually wrote to the Minister requesting justification for the inclusion of the Model Flying community in this draconian system. His letter was published by the BMFA but we have not seen the response. Probably the standard response that everyone else got; Don't confuse me with facts as my mind is made up.

Rob

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that.

To be fair, it will probably take him a few weeks to wade through all the stuff on his desk, and I doubt if our problem is his highest priority. In the meantime, he will just parrot the line he is fed by his civil servants.

However, if he still hasn't taken any action in (say) a month's time, perhaps it might be worth reminding him of this fact! Perhaps someone with an MP who is on side might like to prompt them to remind the minister of this?

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 02/08/2019 22:23:03

Thank you for your input, Jeremy. Very useful!

Many of the members here started off flying control-line, and some still do! Indeed, I still have a few down in the garage myself, though I haven't flown them for a few years.

Also, I recall reading somewhere that control-line flyers will also be required to register under the proposed legislation. This makes the proposed rules even more nonsensical.

I have no doubt that the BMFA are working feverishly behind the scenes on our behalf. I am taking the silence coming from there as "no news is good news" at the moment, as it implies that delicate negotiations are ongoing.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and again, thank you for your interesting input.

--

Pete