Durafly MK24 V2 Spitfire

Graham Laddie

I have been flying the new MK24 for about 3months now. The aircraft handles beautifully and looks amazing in the air. Now here's the rub, I you land on any surface, other than a bed of feathers, the undercarriage bends and must be straightened to retract on next flight. I raised the issue with HKing who basically gave me $10 to go away stating the replacement struts are identical. What I am looking for is a replacement sprung strut that will fit into the existing electrics. Any advise gratefully received.

Graham

I've got the Mk1 version, and its exactly the same! 9 out of 10 landings require the legs to be bent forward again.

However, they are easily bent back into place. That's not to say that some proper coil sprung replacements wouldn't be appreciated! (Possible money earner for someone with a decent wire bender? wink )

Like the full size Spit, its a beauty in the air, but a b***h * on the ground! A combination of tiny wheels and them being close to the CofG means that a decent landing is almost impossible on anything short of a bowling green!

Still looks a million dollars in the air, though!

--

Pete

* to quote a lady ATA pilot, who had to deliver them during the war!

I've got the V1, which has the same u/c. The wire leg is one piece, with a sharp bend to make the axle. I suspect the oem legs use sub-standard wire. I have made new legs using proper 3mm piano wire, obtained from Mantua Models in Windsor.

Take out the u/c units, and remove the wheels and doors. The plastic dummy oleos can be carefully prised off with a knife.

Use the old legs as a template, you can get a sharp bend using a vice and hammer. Remember to file flats near the top of the leg, at the correct angle to the axle axis, for the grub screws. The oleos can be re-fitted with a smear of UHU Por or similar. Hold the wheels on with soldered washers.

Mine have lasted quite well. They supplied coiled units with the 109E, which are much better. I don't know if a pair of those could be fitted, with some mods.

The Mk24 u/c has been changed from exact scale to improve the ground handling, and I've found it quite forgiving. The MkI/V has also been changed, but not so much, and is a lot trickier. It is also a few ounces heavier, which doesn't help for a gentle touchdown.

20170423_151230.jpg

I find this a bit strange, I have been flying one of these since they first came out. The early one with the 4 blade prop.

I find it easy to land especially for a spitfire, the only thing I find is it is a bit prone to nose overs on take-off. I packed out the back of the retract units with washers which helps with this.

I agree it is lovely in the air and really nice to fly.

The plane isn't difficult to land, the landing just has to be perfect every time. The V2 has raked under carriage so nose overs are not much of an issue. Also the struts on this version gave a drilled axle as opposed to the bend. I reckon it is the forward rake which places excessive pressure on the strut when landing. Going to source a strut with suspension or sprung.