TV Licence petition

Former Member

Advert

I qualify for a free TV licence but don't have one. We haven't a TV of any sort and neither my wife or I feel the lack of one as neither of us could find the time to watch. The radio is all we need mostly BBC 3 these days as we're both fed up of the incessant ramblings about politicians and Brexit. Whatever happens with the last I reckon it won't affect me for very long as at 80 I doubt that I'll be around when the dust eventually settles.

Malcolm

Posted by SR 71 on 12/06/2019 17:01:20:

Well I would sooner pay for our old people to watch tv

Than I would pay for all the foreigners that are here getting free treatment on the NHS, helping overcrowd our hospitals

At the risk of assisting the drift of this thread a bit, could I perhaps mention "all the foreigners" that actually make the NHS work. A personal observation here; a year or so ago I had to have a canula put into a vein, and mine are apparently hard to locate. It took eight tries, two in each arm and two into the back of each hand before finally a passing Greek cardiologist managed to find a vein. Prior to that I'd been jabbed by a Pole, a German, an Irish girl, a Spaniard, two Phillipinas and one English nurse. I'm personally delighted that foreigners are crowding the NHS, as it looks as if the British aren't prepared to do the work.

Reverting to the thread topic a bit, I too used to work for the BBC and as a camerman saw no signs of high salaries amng my colleagues, more's the pity.

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 12/06/2019 20:06:07:

I qualify for a free TV licence but don't have one. We haven't a TV of any sort and neither my wife or I feel the lack of one as neither of us could find the time to watch. The radio is all we need mostly BBC 3 these days as we're both fed up of the incessant ramblings about politicians and Brexit. Whatever happens with the last I reckon it won't affect me for very long as at 80 I doubt that I'll be around when the dust eventually settles.

Malcolm

I do not have a tv either. Have not had one for 20 years. I do not know how people find time to watch one. More interesting things to do in life. I am told that there is now a program called "Goggle Box" in which viewers watch other people watching tv. No wonder the country is going to the dogs.

Posted by Michael Barclay on 12/06/2019 21:36:49:
Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 12/06/2019 20:06:07:

Malcolm

I do not have a tv either. Have not had one for 20 years. I do not know how people find time to watch one. More interesting things to do in life. I am told that there is now a program called "Goggle Box" in which viewers watch other people watching tv. No wonder the country is going to the dogs.

Yes, there is a lot of dross, but there is also a lot of quality.

I daresay that, back in the 1700s, there were those bemoaning people who enjoyed a bawdy tavern song or Chaucers' ribald tales instead of having a night at the opera. Who are we - a bunch of men who stand in fields playing with toy aeroplanes - to say what is or is not good entertainment when something like Strictly Come Dancing can bring joy to millions?

I would recommend the Blue Planet type programmes: really fascinating and engaging viewing from the BBC Natural History department.