Aristar Elite - what would it be like?

So I've just been sold an un-built Great Planes Aristar Elite ARTF by a club-member who doesn't want to continue with power flying - and wondering if anyone has experience of this model?

Its a 6.5lb 62" span jobbie with a loading of 22oz/sqft, a semi-symmetrical high-wing with a bit of dihedral, and a tricycle UC. The bundle included six S3004 servos (its got flaps as well) and both a Quantum II 40 motor, ESC and 3350 4s LiPos, and an OS max 46 FX (mentioned in another thread), so a choice of how to power it.

see here

I bought it because I'm now training a newbie to the club who's learning quite fast but who isn't really learning 'properly' as his 48" span 2200mAh foamie trainer is really too small and light for most conditions at the patch. He'll either buy it off me at cost, or I'll keep it as an unofficial club trainer - in which case I'll need a cheap Taranis to buddy-box to mine.

Any views on what it'd be like (compared to say the Irving Trainer or Boomerang) and any prejudices on what kind of model (cheap light foam or heavier and bigger - easier to see at a distance - balsa) is best for folks to train on!?

Jon

Edited By Jonathan M on 17/06/2019 12:48:44

Advert

Not familiar with that specific model, but it's one of a class of semi symmetric wing jobbies, often used by flight schools to train with a buddy box. They are a bit too unstable for training without a buddy box, but via the buddy box offer more training scope because they are more agile.

The flight schools would not use them if they thought a Boomerang would do.

Nice size trainer and weight for a trainer if the trainee wants to fly stuff with this weight.

Thx guys, useful to have those characteristics confirmed.

Don - I suppose the debate was had (and won/lost?) long ago about folks buying a cheap light foam model to learn on, or going old-school with a heavier balsa model, plus buddy-box. I can only speak from personal experience, but I REALLY wish I'd been advised to buy a Boomerang or similar to learn with, as since getting into heavier models (Acrowot IC, Wot4 EP) I've had to unlearn a lot of poor flying habits!

Our club isn't well set up with available instructors (which is why I've landed the job training the odd newbie), nor does it have any dedicated club trainers, hence why I've bought this model, which I'd only use with a second personal TX on a buddy-lead.

The trainee(s) can still have their foam model to practice on alone once they're at a certain level (as long as another member with an A Cert is available to stand by them), but it would save a lot of initial frustration and time-wasting with models which aren't set up properly, or when its too windy for a lightweight - like this summer!

Denis - I spotted that clip-apart hazard and was going to do a similar mod, with captive-nuts in a robust bearer and nylon-bolts for safety in a rough landing. The alternative is to mount the main UC forward and fit a tail-wheel instead..?

Captive nuts, great idea, with nylon bolts

Saddles do break too, with hard arrivals

For a tail dragger to rotate at takeoff, you need at least the arc of the tyre edge at the wing leading edge

Looking down, plan view, at the wing, it is nice just to see some part of the tyre

As you said about the Boomerang, these models have more " authority " in the air than you usual foamie

Realistically, you know, you can almost stop and change your mind, flying a small foamie

But more substantial trainers need to be flown to move along smoothly, and leave less to re-learn, when you buy a 10kg warbird.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 17/06/2019 18:12:10