Bixler 2/3

fly boy3

Hi all, I,m a dedicated ic flier of thirty years thinking of buying a Bixler for Winter flying as the old digits do not work so good in the cold weather. Not fussed about the Bix.2 or 3 as it seems the difference is quite small. Any comments on lipos in cold weather will greatfully received. Thanks

Advert

It's good to keep your LiPos warm in winter before you fly them. After charging in the garage I take mine indoors while I have lunch so that they can warm up a bit, and then carry them to the field in an insulated bag.

Having said that, you've got to be careful if charging in cold weather, for LiPos can gain voltage as they warm up, so if they were fully charged to 4.20v per cell in the cold, they could exceed 4.20v per cell when they warm up, which can be dangerous. For that reason my charger is programmed to only charge to 4.10v per cell when the temperature falls below a certain value.

I think the Bix2 flies better than the Bix3 just seems easier to chuck around . Bought the Bix3 to replace the earlier 2 thinking it would die soon but it's still going but is a collection of UHU Por/Cyano/hot glue held together with foam. Wing fitting better on the 3 but glued the 2s wing in permently. On a 3S 2200 with a bit of gliding will stay aloft way past my boredom threshold.

I have a BIx 3, but fitted with larger wheels fine for average fields, use mine for messing about with FPV which it does well. The rudder isn't very powerful, but then it is not a 'sports' plane, and if you feel the need for more response i'd say it probably isn't the correct model for the job anyway. I didn't hook up the flaps, didn't see the need.