Dynam Waco?

SIMON CRAGG

Posted by Alan Hilton on 16/09/2019 18:33:30:

I have one and it’s fantatic flys well and looks the part

Alan

Alan, thanks. Can you confirm any of the following please: Parts warped, added weight needed in the nose, interplane struts badly fitting resulting in the incidences being wrong, etc.Any hints on tips welcome.

Hi Simon, I have been flying one for a couple of years and would have to say that it is one of the best bang for a buck planes I have - partly 'cause it was pretty cheap to start with laugh

It is Dynam, so needs a bit of work - mainly cosmetic though. The tail fin was warped on mine, but I think it may have been a batch thing as others found the same thing at the time - got it fixed with a bit of heat though.

Dynam's ESCs are a bit ordinary, so I swapped it out for a Plush 60 which has worked well. I used the Dynam one in a medium sized glider and it has worked OK, but stutters a bit on start up.

No incidence problems - the struts, carbanes and landing struts are bare metal so most folks paint them - either matching yellow or black.

I gave the whole airframe two coats of WBPU to protect the paint from scuffs and give it a nice shine.

I drilled a hole through the firewall to let extra air into the electronics bay.

You have to provide your own pilot/s.

I fly it with a 3000mAh 4S 45C battery which balances it just right.

One small issue with flying it (and it's not the airframes fault) is that the landing gear spats get full of gunk if you are flying off a muddy field. I just try and avoid this and don't taxi the model if it is on a dirt strip. I nipped a 1/8 inch strip off the bottom of the spats to improve ground clearance

Really a fun model to fly - here's a vid of the maiden flight: **LINK**

waco airflow.jpg

waco2.jpg

waco4.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 17/09/2019 03:16:53

Posted by Alan Hilton on 17/09/2019 09:13:50:

Hi Simon

The only problem was a slightly warped tail fin .

Alan

I have read several complaints about that as well Alan. I will probably get it from Kings Lynn Models, and ask them to check the contents before dispatch. Sometimes, I really don't know why us modellers put up with some of the stuff that is sold. Dodgy servos, esc's that need changing, rubbish linkages etc, £145 for a bit of foam is a lot of money! Its that or nothing I suppose, but I do get fed up with it sometimes.

Hi Simon - I have one that I got about 4-5 years ago. Fin and horizontal stab both warped out of the box, but I fixed mine with some heat then embedded carbon strip. See pictures to show how bad it was:

horizontal_stab_le_on.jpg

vertical_stab.jpg

The paint job was dire: the black strips just didn't line up - by about 0.5cm on the top wing! - and the rectangles on the bottom wing were far from square and with loads of overspray. I repainted all the black and touched up the yellow, then the whole thing got a coat of lacquer as the matt yellow paint is very susceptible to damage and looks tatty very quickly.

Other things I did:

• the landing lights on mine were red LEDs (!!!) in black painted cutouts. I changed for high-brightness white and painted the reflectors silver, and then put these on a switch. Much better. I also changed the wingtip lights for high brigtness ones.
  • painted the cabane struts black, looks a lot better
  • the original motor was VERY noisy - to the extent that I once had an irate local fisherman complainng at me! I changed it...
  • picked out the pushrods on the dummy engine in silver
  • opened up some vents in the dummy engine and widened the air circulation in the f/w
  • adjusted the position of the magnets in the battery hatch, they were embedded too deeply so didn't grip properly
  • added some bits of bamboo skewer in the corners of the battery hatch to make it easier to remove, since otherwise you are prying at the foam with fingernails...

The decals are particularly tricky to fit accurately, but if you've lacquered yours, you can use the soapy water trick to give you a better chance.

I fly it on 2700mAH 4S, works fine with the battery pushed fairly far forward. It's a Dynam, if you are at all fussy about your models, expect to do some work to get it to your liking.

Simon

Simon

Many thanks, seems to replicate what I have read elsewhere.

I have had a few Dynam Models, which as you say, generally need a bit of TLC before taking to the air.

Once sorted, they are decent flying models!.

Still not 100% sure......but nearly there, as all the mods. are straightforward to do.

Thx again.

Simon

I really liked the Dynam Albatros and the Waco. I bought a new Albatros from a well know supplier and found that some of the parts were warped. The horizontal stabiliser in particular was warped in such a way that when placed on a flat surface, the hinge line of the stabiliser and elevator (on the flat projection) touched in the middle and bowed out to each end to around a 12mm gap. I had no idea how to fix that and sent it back.

I found a used Waco and went to view it. It was very attractive but the upper wing was warped, giving lots of twist. I know that many have had great experiences with their WACO, but for me, they lost much of their attraction. I suspected that the paint finish had something to do with the warps.