How To Make an Ultra Micro R/C Plane & Beat the New Rules !

Thought some of you might find the following interesting in light of the new legislation /rules and in particular the attractiveness of model aircraft less than 250 grammes

They also have a fair few planes to choose from .

Regards

Conrad

Edited By conrad taggart on 20/09/2019 17:52:39

Edited By conrad taggart on 20/09/2019 17:54:26

Edited By conrad taggart on 20/09/2019 17:55:22

Advert

Hi Conrad,

i decided it was time to build a model myself after flying several ARTF’s and Helis indoors. I had the motor and electrics available from a night vapor which had been donated by a club mate so went for the liddlebug from Micron rc. Although I have built quite a few balsa models over the years this has proved challenging due to it’s size. It seemed very fragile to start with but fits together well and when coated with eze cote the fuselage is proving to be more robust. The wings are built but await covering using oracover light.

Has anyone else built and flown one?

Chris Stevenson

Edited By Chris Stevenson on 21/09/2019 17:38:45

Thanks Colin, Your models seem a bit large for the Hall I use which is why I chose the liddlebug as a starter. I have posted some pics showing part construction. On holiday now for two weeks so progress nil but will update when finished and flown. Thanks for the suggestions however. I live near Peterborough and am thinking of trying their indoor sessions this winter in a larger hall which will give me more scope to build bigger. Chris

I have been flying an 89gm flying wing for a couple of years. It works OK in quite windy weather and is capable of most manoeuvres that don't need a rudder - loops, bunts, vertical eights, rolling circle (a bit untidy). At 89gms that leaves a lot of room for development.

The germans already have a class for sub 250gm racers and have developed fully moulded model for it with speeds over 150mph.

And some in the US are also doing similar.

Sub 250gm is just another challenge.

Dick

tiny bit.jpggerman sub 250.jpg

img_1330.jpgimg_1328.jpgChris, the biplane and Wellesley fly very slowly and turn on a sixpence, perfect indoors. The Javelin proved too much for me indoors though, although a better pilot (most of them!) than me might be ok with it. The Stevens Aero kits that Micron sell are great indoor scale models and are quick and easy to build. Here is the Deperdussin, which is really good. I eventually damaged it when my transmitter was playing up and I wackedimg_1320.jpg it into the floor, although it is an easy fix. Because it is my lousy flying that causes most of my incidents I spent weeks persevering before I finally realised that in this case the Dx6i really had gone wonky and needed a new RF board! The first photo shows it after I replaced the profile rotary engine with a more realistic job made from sanding thicknesses of Depron together and sanding to shape.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 23/09/2019 12:55:31

Thought I'd add a comment re sub 250gm, not having to register and pay and not take a test.. If the regs go ahead as they are now there are a couple of other criteria that people should bear in mind in case one is confronted by a 'jobsworth' implementing these regs with the hope of extracting the fixed penalty on the spot fine that is quoted as the penalty for breaching the regs. As I understand it:

1/ THERE IS A MODEL SPEED LIMIT OF 19M/S OR APPROX 42.6 MPH.

2/ THERE IS A DISTANCE LIMIT FROM PILOT TO MODEL OF A MAX 400FT ACHIEVED BY GEO AWARENESS/FENCING OR REDUCED TX RF POWER.

Just saying so that you have a story ready if needed in the future. Range check reduced power would be a reasonable story for the max distance. The others are obviously slow planes except the DLG.

Fingers crossed there are some changes.