JR Radio

Alan  Glover

Does anyone out there know if JR have any plans to offer a 2.4ghz plug in module for their 35mhz Tx's? They already offer a synthesised module and I would expect that it is technically possible if they choose to do it. Indeed the new Spektrum sets seem to be built around JR Tx cases and use JR servo's and chargers. I have a PCM10 which is too expensive to scrap just because new technology has been introduced and so would like to be able to simply buy a plug in module allowing me to make use of the new, allegedly safer, crystal-less system. I am currently holding back from buying a Spektrum in the hope that JR adopt this obviosly sensible option for thier existing, and dare I say loyal, customers.

Advert

I would hazard guess that yes they will.
I know they are soon to release a 2.4 GHz transmitter, but this I think will be a full set, NOT a module to fit in existing sets. Rumours abound over the pond about companies claiming to be ready to release a modular replacement, but at the moment they are just that . Rumours.

I confess I did not follow the link right now, but the last time i looked at the Extreme systems site, it was all rumour, and should be here soon type stuff. No actual gear available at all.
Should be good, but will it actually happen some time soon ??
They, and the other mainstream guys really need to get their fingers out, as the Spekky is still listed amongst the top 5 sellers in a lot of HS websites.

• 2 weeks later...
Investing in new technology is usually expensive. At least these sets are relatively inexpensive.

Because there is a significant difference between the frequency differences ( 9 metre wavelength at 35mhz to approx 1.5 cm wavelength at 2.4ghz)there will be extreme difficulty in producing modules for existing tx's, both mechanical and electronic. Aerials and their mounts have a significant effect on performance at the centimeter wavelengths and this would create problems in producing/modifying existing equipment with simple / cheap upgrades.

It would be less expensive to buy a new purpose made set.

The only other solution is to wait until the technology is established and cheaper.

Spectrum do produce modules for both JR & Futaba and they are avaliable in the US but they are low power outputs for land vehicles only and are only compatible with the Spectrum DX6 type of receiver, they have the short aerials sticking out the face of the modules. i'm sure it's not going to be long before full power ones are avaliable in this country

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Nope...plug and play as it were. Just pull out the main module in the rear of the case, no need to even open up the case or even take out the batts ! The fiddliest bit will prob be the aerial refit, although some modules come with a hard fixed aerial attached to them, with no umbilical lead needed.