The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Cuban8 on 06/11/2020 09:15:52:
Posted by Martin Harris on 06/11/2020 00:23:07:

...In terms of flying my models with their labels attached - it's had zero effect whatsoever!

Yes, I have a few concerns over future changes but I'm pretty confident that the BMFA et al are busy negotiating to mitigate many of their effects.

Exactly - a storm in a teacup if ever there was one. As with storms in nature, this one will eventually blow itself out.

I hope you are both right. At this point registration, whilst annoying and (currently at least) fairly pointless, is only a minor inconvenience compared to the potential impact of the revised CAP 1789.

There is no doubt the BMFA has been busy negotiating, but the outcome of those negotiations is not yet clear. I do fear it will be a bit like last time when they got the 400ft exemption but had to concede mutirotors were not included in that. The distance to uninvolved persons is the bit I am most worried about; no EU modelling association I am aware of has negotiated that away, and France is going much further with remote ID capability.

This is going to take a while to play out, but IMO whether commercial BVLOS drone usage becomes a widespread reality or not won't really make any difference - by that point all this legislation will be in place and near impossible to unpick.

Edited By MattyB on 06/11/2020 12:36:25

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I wonder how the loss of Grant Shapps as Transport secretary may affect us.  He seemed to take a fairly balanced view of model aviation legislation.

He did seem to have a relatively pragmatic view, and from memory some personal (full size) flying experience too? Time will tell, but given the current cost of living, energy and economic issues the government are facing there may not be too much room in the timetable for additional legislation such as RID (hopefully!).