Building Board Cover

I can find any number of threads on here regarding materials to be used as building boards, and am indeed using a plywood base with a plasterboard topping as recommended by numerous postees, but no-one seems to list what they use as a non-stick transparent cover for the board.

I have seen suggested somewhere kitchen greaseproof paper, but is that wide enough and clear enough I wonder (we currently don't have any to check!). But it seems like some sort of plastic sheeting would do, but what to buy, in a roll wide enough, and at a cheap enough price (as it's presumably a disposable item? ( I presume the sheet needs to be wide enough to cover in one as a joint down the middle would not be good, I wouldn't have thought).

What do folks use?

Chris

Advert

If you mean plan protection during building then I've been using cling film for years. The fact that it often isn't wide enough to cover a whole plan isn't a problem; I just overlap it as necessary. It's so thin and transparent it's not noticed. In fact, as I use magnetic blocks for building rather than pins, the lack of holes means I can be supermean and reuse it when building smaller structures like, say, ailerons.

Geoff

Be warned, kitchen cling film can be glued.

I have started gluing a wing this morning, my first use of Deluxe Rocket Hot super thin cyano. Working direct from the bottle a bigger drop than I anticipated came out. Penetration of the joint was excellent, right through to the film, from which a patch tore when I tried to lift the part.

There is no way the cling film is coming off. It has crinkled where the glue made contact. Best I could do was sand down the peaks of the crinkles.

I have some applicator nozzles and tube which I will try in future, to limit glue flow.

Posted by Martin_K on 18/11/2019 10:59:32:

Be warned, kitchen cling film can be glued.

I have started gluing a wing this morning, my first use of Deluxe Rocket Hot super thin cyano. Working direct from the bottle a bigger drop than I anticipated came out. Penetration of the joint was excellent, right through to the film, from which a patch tore when I tried to lift the part.

There is no way the cling film is coming off. It has crinkled where the glue made contact. Best I could do was sand down the peaks of the crinkles.

I have some applicator nozzles and tube which I will try in future, to limit glue flow.

Yes ive given up on cling film now for same reason. It used to work but I did read on here somewhere it’s only a specific make that won’t allow glue to penetrate..... and I don’t know which one that is.

florists wrap for me all day long yes