Bespoke water slide decals

Harrier Mate

Decals need a good gloss coat to adhere properly so on foam models a coat or two of gloss WBV will give a nice surface to work on. Once the decals are on then another coat of gloss varnish will seal them in and also get rid of the 'silvering' (edges of the decal). Then a coat of semi or matt varnish for whatever finish you're going for. A couple coats of thinned varnish on large models adds hardly any noticeable weight.

Here are the decals I made for my two Impalas, one 1/4 and the other 1/10 - Both sealed after with a gloss and the edges of the decal disappear completely. Again, the white is hand painted over a grey text decal.

I am getting the impression that Monz is creating his Decals from scratch. That is coating onto a surface such as a gummed paper with WBV. Then printing or hand painting onto this substrate. Finally over spraying the art work.

Such work is beyond both my abilities and patience. I just buy in Decal paper onto which I print. My over spraying the art work is to both protect it and to increase the total thickness.

My methods are about deskilling the process. Which I have to do.

Posted by Erfolg on 13/12/2019 18:39:11:

I am getting the impression that Monz is creating his Decals from scratch. That is coating onto a surface such as a gummed paper with WBV. Then printing or hand painting onto this substrate. Finally over spraying the art work.

Such work is beyond both my abilities and patience. I just buy in Decal paper onto which I print. My over spraying the art work is to both protect it and to increase the total thickness.

My methods are about deskilling the process. Which I have to do.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion?

All I do is buy in laser decal paper onto which I print....

My mistake Monz.

All the same, it does go to show how many methods there are to create decals.

In this era, the Ink and Laser jet have to be the easiest method of creating the physical image. Using the internet to obtained images and the various art packages require less innate skill, although arguably more knowledge and equipment.

Painting using a brush is dependent on skill.

The final method must be via the well padded wallet.

Thanks Guys..... there is clearly a wealth of information and techniques available. Thank you for sharing.... I will certainly explore the whole lozenge camouflage pattern as a pair on decal after seeing the cost of commercially available lozenge fabric. 🤣

mans with a small test piece first I can just experiment.... here goes!
Thanks again to all the tips...