Trendsetters and Iconic Models over the Years?

Posted by Peter Christy on 17/01/2020 15:26:29:

Well, the "Taurus" dominated fixed wing-aerobatics for many years, and clearly influenced many other designers. On that basis, I would think it deserves to be regarded as a trendsetter, iconic AND common - at least in 60s aerobatic circles!

--

Pete

+1 for the Taurus, my first low model and a delight to fly. They were the dominant multi aerobatic model back in the mid 60's.

Alan

Posted by Chris Channon on 19/01/2020 11:56:23:

Yamammotto, Premier Preceptor, Precedent Hi-Boy, Precedent Bi-Fly.

Chris, you've just answered a question I've been meaning to ask, namely, 'Who made the Preceptor?'
I borrowed one from a friend to give lessons for quite a long while, but never knew who kitted it. Apart from rather too soft main legs that were forever bending back, it was a wonderful four channel trainer, and flew really well on an OS35FP. The one I flew had a silicone tube from the outlet on the silencer to just by the right hand main wheel, so it didn't get covered in goo either.
I can't find a picture of a Preceptor anywhere though. For those that have never seen one, it looks like a slightly anorexic MFA Yamamoto.

There are lots of good suggestions coming through. I would never have thought of the F-27 Stryker, but I take Kiwikid's point. Maybe the original question should be broken down by decades? The Tauri and Ugly Stick are definitely classics; the Ugly Stick, in particular, being much copied through the years, and even influencing such classics in their own right as the GWS Pico Stick; I bet that would have surprised Phil Kraft!

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 19/01/2020 23:25:27:

The Tauri and Ugly Stick are definitely classics; the Ugly Stick, in particular, being much copied through the years, and even influencing such classics in their own right as the GWS Pico Stick; I bet that would have surprised Phil Kraft!

I think the Stik was something that would have been discovered eventually - no matter who discovered it.

It's the logical answer to "how simple can an all-wood RC airplane be?"

For simple, also read "quick to make".

Kraft's particular genius with the Stik was styling the tail end to look like a Fokker and plonking some big iron crosses on it smiley

The Formosa is the most relaxing plane to fly , and very popular in our club , great for doing very precise aerobatics and getting ready for the B test , Possibly a classic ?? and if it was still produced there would be many more and then it may probably be a "Classic ".

but for me , A 1968 Ugly Stik taught me RC , then the Wot 4 plan built , but now I have degenerated to foam things , EFX s etc.