Brian Taylor Harvard AT6

David Davis

It's was probably about fifteen years ago that I bought a Brian Taylor Harvard, the 69.5" version, from an old boy in Somerset. It's beautifully built, finished in a post war RAF colours, two pilots, retracts etc. I've always been too scared to fly it because until recently my landings have been pants.

In 2015 I retired to rural France. My local club has a tarmac runway 80 metres long by 10 metres wide, I think. I have become quite adept at landing my models on the runway most of the time.

runway lourdouiex st pierre mac.jpg

Last Saturday I successfully maidened the Flair Harvard and being delighted with its flying characteristics, I am minded to put an engine and radio into the Brian Taylor version.

The model is a few inches bigger in the span than the Flair version and being fully covered in balsa wood sheet it's bound to be heavier. As a result it's likely to fly more quickly than the Flair version, and the stall could be exciting but does anyone have any experience of flying this model? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'm planning to fit a Laser 70 or 80.

**LINK**

Advert

Hi David,

I built the 69" BT Harvard in the mid ninties which flew very well with a .60 OS 2-stroke, having spent 2 years building it I was always scared of bending it ! You have it made with such a great strip.

My colour scheme was based on the last powered aeroplane to fly out of West Malling airfield in 1992 having been re-painted in the hanger there.

Regards Rayimg_20200109_204424.jpg

Posted by David Davis on 21/01/2020 09:53:01:

Thank you gentlemen, this will be my first experience of flying a model with retracts so I'll keep practising those landings "sur la piste."

if using retracts fit oleos as they absorb the shocks better than wire.

Wire will protect you more in the event of a faceplant, but they will also turn good landings into bad ones!

I've just had a quick look at the model wrapped in its bubble wrap. It is equipped with oleos so that's fortunate.

There is a retract servo in place but it needs all of the others. I tend to favour HiTec servos and assume that the standard HS 311 will be suitable for the throttle, elevator and rudder but the ailerons are operated via pushrods by a single centrally mounted servo.

Which servo would you recommend for this purpose bearing in mind that the model will be powered by a Laser 70 or 80?