Anyone used the Spektrum AR410 or 620 receivers ??

Christopher Morris 2

I've just about got done the restoration to flight of a Storch, exquisite work, not mine, built between 1977 to 1980. Part of the alterations is making it one channel per servo, and I need 7 channels. So the 1978 cutting edge technology Multiplex 6 channel receiver came out, and a modern 8 channel Spektrum unit went in.

80 grams came out, 8 grams went back in. Times change.

Advert

Using 4, 6 and 8 channel DSMX and DSM2 with DX8 gen 1 and gen 2.

Most recent experience with a YAK (Laser 180 up front) with a 8 channel RX inc satellite AR8010T but only using 5 channels with no issues.

Needed the 8 channel for another model so popped my AR620 in to the YAK, all set up and passed range checked. Flew twice and got the following F:306, H:0 and F:235, H:0. Now Spektrum say if its over than F:500 then the RX should be repositioned.

I think it was a big ask for a RX with no satellite in a fair size model so I put a 7 channel DSM2 RX in with satellite and no issues, but then I don't have the telemetry to see issues.

PS for smaller electric models using AR620 at the same field the average F: is <20.

Any questions please ask.

I replaced my normal six channel DSMX AR6010 with an AR620. I was a bit cynical about it as I could see very little inside the case, and no antennae or remote antennae. I tried it out in my hack Max Thrust Lightning electric glider.

I was soon impressed by the rock solid stability of the Rx and as much range as required......probably BVR.

The telemetry is of the fly-by type but still useful. I have been up in thermals to good heights and at no time had F more than 90, no H at all. I have fitted it vertically, sockets on top. At first sight it shouldn't work so well but after 25 flights and about 20 hours in the air I have had no problems.

I would not worry about using it in other aircraft now. Much less fuss in fitting Rx and satellites. Good value. Can recommend it.

Edited By Dane Crosby on 24/03/2020 11:37:01

• 3 months later...
Posted by Don Fry on 24/03/2020 15:13:42:

In all fairness Chris, no holds, no frame loss, apx. half of the acceptable fades rate, is well within specification.

Trouble with this telemetry, while it's a boon, it's another source of anxiety.

You can drive yourself to the brink of a nervous breakdown by becoming overly obsessed with telemetry data - RSSI in particular. I originally set mine on the DX8 G2 to 30% in the absence of any real setting advice in the manual and the ruddy thing was going off all the time despite having rock solid control at maximum visual distance and with reasonable fade figures and no holds at all. Set mine to 10% now and it only squeaks now and again if someone on the flightline next to me blocks the line of sight betwixt tranny and model and the odd random beep that makes you jump!  Never a problem though. I rely on a thorough and detailed range check at various angles on a new installation noting frame losses and adjusting as required, then expecting to get at least 40 paces with solid lock before each flying session as a normal (i.e reduced power) range check. Providing that's good, I'm happy. I notice that the telemetry figures do differ from flying session to flying session when except for the day itself, apparently nothing else has changed. (?)

Edited By Cuban8 on 04/07/2020 10:58:17