Old Multiplex radio kit, any value?

Don Fry

img_0885.jpgI've got this. 7 channel transmitter, failsafe unit, a receiver. It's a 35 meg unit. There is also a box of stuff somewhere with another receiver, lots of wiring, crystals, and I think a couple of servos. Purchased by original owner, 1/6/78. I acquired it when I bought an airframe from him.

It works, looks to be little used. Redundant, as I replaced the receiver in the airframe with a Spektrum although for now have retained the Multiplex servos.

My workshop is too small, it can't store what is to me junk. Has this sort of stuff got any value.

2 points I forgot. The throttle is on right stick. Don't know if this is alterable. No batteries with it.

Edited By Don Fry on 03/03/2020 11:13:46

Nothing wrong with that gear, Don, and its probably still perfectly serviceable as is. It would also be quite easy to convert to 2.4 GHz, should anyone wish to do that.

Its probably too modern to be considered a classic, but who knows? Someone, somewhere will want it!

Might be worth posting on "mode-zero", which is where most of the retro enthusiasts meet:

**LINK**

--

Pete

I think it has its value due to being from a major brand, having some years now and being quite well conserved!

On the contrary, I am afraid it is not easily convertible to 2.4Ghz as the trainer system is not based in control signal but on powering on/of from the master transmitter, needing supressing the original electronic boards and converting to Arduino control, aside the preferred 2.4Ghz signal module or board.

Anyway surely a superb find for many R/C vintage enthusiasts!

Peter, thanks for the link to the retro ensusasts site. Now I note, you were flogging for an expired? flier, some nice kit, similar age. Did it sell? How much?

This stuff is bulk in the workshop. It gets in the way of a case of Chablis. I prefer Chablis. It goes.

Most of it went. All the modern stuff we got quite good prices for, but the older stuff went mostly to enthusiasts for renovation / museum / converting to 2.4GHz. We knew we weren't going to get much for them, so tried to make sure they went to people who would appreciate them.

If you have a look here: **LINK**

you might even spot some of the stuff in the museum! The "Duo-Ten" in the reeds section came from a deceased modeller, and was pretty scruffy when they got it! Now its like new!

This site is run by some of the folks on the "Mode-Zero" site, and has all the details of how to convert older gear. I've done a couple of sets myself:

That's a Royal Classic (c.1969) and a Grundig "reed" set (c.1965) now both in regular use on 2.4 GHz.

Put an ad up on Mode-Zero and I'm sure someone will show an interest! Just don't expect shed loads of money!

But if you have any old "reed" sets in reasonable condition......

laugh

--

Pete

Peter, cheers. But your post lost me. Please accept, I have no empathy for this old kit. I liked flying single channel. Reed stuff was a lot of single channel at the same time, complication without pleasure. And I moved onto early propo stufff. Modern kit suits me, does as it's told.

how much is this worth? £10, £40, 50p. Ball park. I won't hunt you down if wrong.

Now that's putting me on the spot! Its basically worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, but holding a wet finger in the air, I doubt if you would get more than £40 for it.

Now if you come across one of the Graupner/Grundig Varioprops (preferably one of the black ones, but would consider a yellow one) then let me know! wink

I was always a big fan of the Grundig radio gear.....!

--

Pete

As I said, try offering it on Mode-Zero. One of the guys on there bought some Multiplex stuff that I was disposing of last year on behalf of a deceased flyer's family:

Some of these were probably around the same sort of vintage as your set. As you say, too new to be really collectable,but someone out there will probably want it. Its just a question of finding them!

If you want, I can try and put a link to this thread up there and see if it gets any response?

--

Pete

When was 35 mHz introduced, I know when i bought my first RC set at the end of 1979 it was on 27 Mhz FM and I seem to remember that 35 mHz was legalised in early 1980, which would mean if the set was bought in 1978 it would be 27 mHz or has been upgraded to 35 mHz. But then again I might be wrong frown

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 04/03/2020 17:40:59:

When was 35 mHz introduced, I know when i bought my first RC set at the end of 1979 it was on 27 Mhz FM and I seem to remember that 35 mHz was legalised in early 1980, which would mean if the set was bought in 1978 it would be 27 mHz or has been upgraded to 35 mHz. But then again I might be wrong frown

Not sure, but I understand Multiplex stuff has always been modular.

Looking at the kit, and it's box of bits, I've got a transmitter/receiver set up for 35 meg. I've also got a 27 meg receiver crystals and module for the transmitter. I have also got a 4 channel failsafe. And two servos, linear, and a rotary servo, working but without its plug. And some wiring, with the missing plug.

This set came from Berlin.