DW models Astro Junior .

img_0035.jpgWhilst looking for kits to build during this necessary home isolation period (after bagging a Flair Harvard kit on eBay ) I came across this pretty little thing on the 4 Max website. A 'modern' laser cut tribute to the Astro Hog at 1400 span, and designed for electrickery.

the smallest kit box arrived, with a bewildering amount of superb laser cut bits inside, plus wheels and some hardware. In a separate box was the 4 max recommended motor, servos and Super'phatic for the build.

anyone who remembers Pilot or Marutaka kits as being lovely 'jigsaw' type builds, hang on to your hats . . . . You ain't seen nothing yet !

Day 1 saw the obligatory studying of drawings and photo build explanations ( needed for the numbers on the many bits). Then work commenced.

Advert

img_0041.jpgimg_0041.jpgimg_0041.jpgAnother couple of days, wings covered, capped and tips attached. No real problems other than the Pawlina ( never used that on a model before, though the fingerboard on one of my guitars uses it) trailing edge section is only butted against the trailing edge of the wing and one centre rib, I think a .8mm skin will be added underneath for peace of mind.

Nose sheeted and rough sanded, I needed a.8mm ply cap to be added to the fuselage sides to reach the hatch undersides, no big problem

Using the lesser angled dihedral brace ( still 4 inches under 1 tip) means the fuselage sides need a 1/8 fillet adding each side.

the hatch being skinned in the foreground will be assisted by a bit of water, one side is a nice bit of balsa, the other resembles a slice of woman's heart, so will need a bit of help. I added 4mm offcuts to beef up the centre longeron for gluing, also used the same offcuts to beef up the base to give a bigger glue area. The two long longerons were replaced with spruce 4mm square section to improve rigidity.

All in all a couple of days pleasantly spent.

Excuse the untidy board . . . . Halfway through this mornings antics.

img_0043.jpgBattery hatch sheeted. In two halves. Gluing the centre 'joint' first, then the sheeting sponged, held over the shape with masking tape for 1/2 hour, then glued with super phatic and it all came out sweet.

i had to add facings on the fuselage/hatch to make it all line up nice, I used .8mm Birch ply. This also gives a better edge for covering film later, a nice crisp line that cannot be pulled out of shape.

I added 3/16 infills, between ply formers and longerons everywhere ( using the many offcuts from the kit) to give better purchase for the skins. The same treatment was given to the top longerons, where each half skin is to be glued. 

Im happy with the results so far, doubly happy because my Flair Se5a kit should arrive today ! 

Edited By Rob Fairweather 1 on 03/04/2020 08:39:44

Edited By Rob Fairweather 1 on 03/04/2020 08:44:46

• 2 weeks later...