DX6i Binding

John Barker

Ive upgraded to a DX6i for my Belt CP due to radio glitchy problems, and low and behold i STILL have radio problems albeit different ones! Ive plugged the ESC on to the throttle pins and the bind plug on to the bind pins. The manual says the Rx led flashes when the binding plug is in place, mine is just solidly on - no flashing, any suggestions?

John

Try binding with a regular battery ( connected to any socket other than battery ) and plug the bind plug into "battery" -also ensure you are switching on in the exact correct sequence, and that the tx is not too close to the rx.

providing the bind plug is in correctly in the rx then irrespective of the tx state, the light should be flashing.

Hi Timbo ive located the source of the above issue and it turned out to be a little more simple then i imagined. After much searching, deliberating and if not a modicum of patience i had a eureka moment! Plug the dam thing in the right way round!!!!

John

A little embarrased

Hi Timbo, the plot thickens, now its binded ok no probs there, except everytime i power the Rx up its flashing like it needs binding again. Soon as i bind it the leds stop flashing and alls ok till i unplug the Rx and repower - result leds flashing like it needs binding again.

Starting to think the FF7 was the way to go............

But that should only be an "issue" immediately following a binding - which chould of course only be a one-off procedure.

Switching off in normal use can - and should - follow the same procedure as normal best practice ....

EG: 1) Rx off , then 2) Tx off.

The Rx LED will only flash to indicate a power outage if the TX is not switched off as well before switching the Rx back on....otherwise everything will be "boot-up" as normal again on next normal switch-on, which should also follow normal  convention

EG: 1) Tx on ( leave for around 10 secs )   then 2) Rx on.

Hope that makes sense.

Perfect sense Timbo!

...and finally (god forums are ace) all powers up nice now, however the ESC beeps 3 times as normal but then the motoer fires up flat out, its like idle up is on but it isnt (you get a warning on the LCD as you know) thought maybe the servo needed reversing but nope! 

Should be good to go once this one is soted.

John

John rebind the Tx to the Rx and it will then remember the low throttle setting, That's the only failsafe on the DX6i, throttle to low setting all other channels stay at last good position. But if you change the low throttle position then you have to rebind for the Rx to "save" this setting.

Just one last thing to check is that you do have the throttle and collective in the correct Rx sockets, wouldn't do to go to max negative pitch and leave the motor running at last setting in case of a failsafe event.

Looked on the Spektrum site. All the advice on using the 2.4 system seems to be increasing by the hour! Not a "plug in and play" like we were first led to believe. If I did not fly electric I don"t think it would be the answer to my dreams. They advise using the longest cable possible between the receiver and sat. Why then ,do they supply a 6" with the sets and charge a fiver for when we want to go longer? Far better for their reputation to supply ALL THREE sizes in the package. Using two battery packs, with one plugged in a spare socket on the receiver is another suggestion. Why not fit another port in the receiver if this is the case, as we need those ports for servo connections, or at least I do. Keep the sat wire away from other wires and if possible fit the sat receiver as far back in the tail of the aircraft as possible is something else they advocate. I expect the next move will be to strap it onto the fin?  A flight log is something else we should fit. They should fit it in the box if it is neccesary to the systems safe use. It"s worth looking on the Spektrum site, but not if you worry about the negatives in life.

Well I havent bothered with any of these so called new ideas in the last 23 months and never had a single failure.

As for 2 x batteries into the receiver - if you really wanted to do that you could always use a Y lead on a channel if you need the channel. many people do NOT advocate simply plugging in a second battery, as the one can affect the other - maybe a diode in series with the second one is advisable.

However, the whole principle of 2 seperate batteries in a "regular" single supply receiver is based on the possibility of the main battery failing - and why would it - if it was the correct one for the job in the first place.