Registration marks query

This is a query which shows poor my memory is and how slowly things get done in remoter rural areas (or how little attention we pay to central 'authority'!) I'm sure some one her must have already covered this, but my searches didn't find those.

Having refurbished some models and completed a couple of half built projects, I was thinking about adding my CAA Operator number to them.

For the first time, I had a proper look at the email they sent me. Ignoring the obvious and unnecessary 'OP-' part, the reference is seven digits long, using both letters and numbers. Is that what we are supposed to put on our machines?

If my arithmetic is right, that reference allows between 4.6x1010 to 6.4x1010 unique numbers, depending on whether I & O are included or not. That is a huge number, given that the population of the UK is around 6.0x107 and around 2.0x104 at most of those fly radio control models. Why so large? (Why not use our BMFA numbers - they are shorter and easier to get right!)

So - is that the number I should use? Chances of anyone ever writing it down correctly, even if I don't spoonerise it, are slim! Shall take copy of the email with all the rest of the paperwork when I fly, just in case...

John B

The CAA operator number is the one asked for and the one I used. I just wrote it on the underside of my Irvine X-It with a ball point pen, whilst reading the number straight off the email on the screen; ensuring the letters were large enough to be legal.

The number was still there and equally legible at the end of the day.

Carrying a copy of the email sounds like a wise move.

Posted by Bell Ringer on 27/04/2020 14:05:00:

The problem there Robin, is that you'd need to cross it out and write a new number on next year. We will be issued a different number each year I think.

The sheer lunacy of all this is hard to fathom. Rather than a new and separate registration scheme, why didn't the powers that be simply make membership of one of the national bodies compulsory. Then we'd all be registered anyway.

That still won't do anything to stop those flying whom are blissfully ignorant of the existence of the national bodies.

Edited By Bell Ringer on 27/04/2020 14:07:41

Bell Ringer, If we just had to write our BMFA numbers on our aircraft, the CAA would struggle to justify how to extract £9.50 from each of us!

Seriously though, a lot of modellers already have their BMFA number on competition models, plus models do get bought and sold. A number which is updated each year, maybe, in the CAA's eyes a bit like the car tax discs we had until recently. It is a number unique to the CAA, independent of the BMFA, BARCS, LMA and drone operator organisations numbering, so shouldn't be confused with any numbering they have given you.

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 27/04/2020 14:49:01:
Posted by Bell Ringer on 27/04/2020 14:05:00:

The problem there Robin, is that you'd need to cross it out and write a new number on next year. We will be issued a different number each year I think.

The sheer lunacy of all this is hard to fathom. Rather than a new and separate registration scheme, why didn't the powers that be simply make membership of one of the national bodies compulsory. Then we'd all be registered anyway.

That still won't do anything to stop those flying whom are blissfully ignorant of the existence of the national bodies.

Edited By Bell Ringer on 27/04/2020 14:07:41

Bell Ringer, If we just had to write our BMFA numbers on our aircraft, the CAA would struggle to justify how to extract £9.50 from each of us!

Seriously though, a lot of modellers already have their BMFA number on competition models, plus models do get bought and sold. A number which is updated each year, maybe, in the CAA's eyes a bit like the car tax discs we had until recently. It is a number unique to the CAA, independent of the BMFA, BARCS, LMA and drone operator organisations numbering, so shouldn't be confused with any numbering they have given you.

and the ones that this is ment to stop won't have a number on their drones anyway as they are ignorant of sensibilties required for safe and considerate flying

Posted by John Bisset on 27/04/2020 12:50:28:...................

For the first time, I had a proper look at the email they sent me. Ignoring the obvious and unnecessary 'OP-' part, the reference is seven digits long, using both letters and numbers. Is that what we are supposed to put on our machines?

John B

What we are supposed to put on our machines, and how, is shown on the CAA website here.

The ID may change for next year (harmonisation with europe and so legislation changes), but as far as I am aware it is not intended to chage every year.

Dick

Posted by flight1 on 27/04/2020 15:19:03:

and the ones that this is ment to stop won't have a number on their drones anyway as they are ignorant of sensibilties required for safe and considerate flying

You know that, I know that, the BMFA know that, in fact the CAA almost certainly know that. However, when some government minister asks the CAA what they have done to stop illegal drone use, they will be able to tell him or her, "They all have to be registered now" and hope the minister goes away before they think to ask another more probing question. What's more, Top Neddy* has created an opening for another Bottom Neddy*, complete with funding (by you and me) to expand their empire.

Strangely enough, the multi-rotor drones flying drugs into our prisons on a daily basis appear to be exempt from the numbering requirement...

*Term used by Roger Bacon of Flight International for civil servants and the like.

Posted by John Bisset on 27/04/2020 12:50:28:

This is a query which shows poor my memory is and how slowly things get done in remoter rural areas (or how little attention we pay to central 'authority'!)

Funny that, in my fairly remote rural area we all seem to have taken notice when the legislation was passed, we were provided with detailed information by the BMFA (and no doubt the other organisations to their members), had exemptions printed out and carry them when we go flying, and put our OP numbers on all our models when we received them from the CAA. It's all on the BMFA website - if you care to look that is.

Just saying!