I think ive boobed...

David perry 1

Im trying to use the little receiver block I had in my USM Whippet in a small rubber power conversion but the orange DSM tx I have is faulty. No probs, thinks I, and I found a DX6i - DSM2, DSMx...that will do.

Ive got it home (second hand, fair enough) and whereas the manual online says I can chnge modulation between DSM2 and DSM or whatever, I cant. The modulation change is in a 14 point menu whereas mine has a 12 point menu. Clearly I have an older model...which is annoying because I know the Dx6 wouldnt do what I want but was sure the 6i would. But it seems I hve wasted my cash.

Anyone offer a glimmer of hope?

David

Advert

Perhaps you have the later DX6i which is DSMX only. Or you might have the earliest one which was DSM2 only. There was one which came between that was DSM2 and DSMX but that could not be imported after a certain date due to EU regs.

For about 15 pounds you can buy a tiny spektrum compatible Rx which will work on any of those Tx. Would that help?

Edited By kc on 15/05/2020 15:18:37

Embarrassing really.

I thought I'd got wrong mod because it wouldnt

bind. This was supported by the short memory with no modulation change item.

Seems this latter is the modern type...old dam not legal now. Also seems that I was too close to the rx when binding, hence the issue.

Once ONE item was resolved the other made sense. I also called nexus models for advice thaNks chaps .

Easy really...

D

Tx & Rx that were sold before the cutoff date can still be used. And modern Rx (specified to be DSM2 & DSMX ) can work with any Spektrum TX. Newest Tx cannot be used with old DSM2 only Rx but those old DSM2 Rx can still be used if you have a Tx with DSM2.

Having said all that most people reckon DSMX is better than DSM2.

"Having said all that most people reckon DSMX is better than DSM2."

In as much as it complies with the European specs and is a true Frequency Hopping protocol whereas DSM2 tx's searched for two free frequencies on switch on and having found them did not hop.

DSMX - Almost certainly better - but I have used a JR DSX9 operating on DSM2 for over 10 years without issue and although I also now have a Futaba 14TG with FAAST and FAASTEST protocols the DSX9 .still feels solid and reliable.

Just for info

Early DX6i were DSM2 only

Next version did both and had a DSMX graphic on the front to distinguish it from the DSM2 version.

DSM2 DSMX

This version did either automatically but there was an option to use 'high speed' DSM2 only (whatever that was).

From January 2015 in line with EU regulations the DSM2 option was withdrawn so any DX6i produced after that date became DSMX only. The outside of the case was unchanged so the only way to tell which version is by checking the 'modulation' menu.