Newbie ish

Hi everyone hope your all safe and well. I have a couple of points I need help with . 1 I want to hopefully look into getting a rc glider i like the idea of thermal riding. My problem is I have looked for any rtf kits everywhere and I can't find a single kit. I do know you can get bind n fly but there lies my problem. I want to keep cost down i have seen a couple of transmitters but wi any transmitter work with any plane. 2 if I bought my own transmitter they usually come with with receiver do would i have to replace one in plane with this one ? 3 I looked at flysky i6 is this any good . Sorry to rant on but any help would be great. I am currently looking for models but can find very little

Advert

Ally, What method of lauching did you have in mind? When I started, the choices were towline, bungee, or a small engine on a power pod. These days an electric motor with a folding propeller or discus-launched are popular methods.

Discus-launched means holding it by a peg though the wingtip and as the name suggests launching the model as high as you can discus-style.

A talk to Gliders would be a good start. Despite their stock looking rather diminished, they still have quite a range and are open for mail order: Gliders.UK

I've got a FlySky FS-T6, the model before your FS-i6, and I've read plenty of reviews of people who are happy with them. Most current servos are compatible with your FlySky receiver, although you may have to trim the indexing lug off Futaba servos to make them fit through the hole in the plastic case to reach the connector pins.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 05/06/2020 22:33:39

I re-started with the inexpensive FS -i6 and 6ch receivers when I came back to the hobby. I found the set to be a great performer, although the Tx size can look a bit small. I have now moved to FRSKY for the endless mixing possibilities that are possible and needed for my thermal gliders, and can still use my FLYSKY receivers.

For models, if you are not keen to build from a kit, maybe look at ARTF models (assemble and add your own radio/servos/motor).

I like the Topmodels gliders as sold via T9 Hobbies.

Hi Ally, welcome to the forum. If you want a simple thermal glider that flies well and is self-launching then I would suggest the Multiplex Easyglider 4. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands have been sold throughout the world, a testament to how good they are. The Kits are very well designed, light and strong like all multiplex products. I don't know if you are in the UK but if you are, you could try 4 Max to supply you with all the electrics, motor/speed controller/servos etc. which will keep things simple. These are listed at the bottom of the page I linked to.

As far as the radio control system is concerned the world is your oyster, just buy a major brand is my advice and buy new not second hand. If you live in the UK don't forget to register your model with the CAA or through the BMFA - and join a club if you are not already a member.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 06/06/2020 08:01:59

Hi guys thank you for your speedy answers. Since I spoke last I have ordered myself a flysky i6x transmitter with receiver I figured I would get that ready . To answer your question Robin I'm looking into electric gliders do I can get it up high and let it float around. I did speak to a guy who runs a rc shop neR me and he said there were no stocks anywhere because of the covid 19 problem so I'm looking hoping to fall lucky on my online search for bnf gliders

Ally, I don't think there are 'ready to fly' electric launch gliders, other than very small models which may include a flight battery and USB charger. At the least expect to set Centre of Gravity, setup control surfaces, install receiver, plus purchase batteries and charger.

Piers, have you had 'hands on' with a Multiplex EasyGlider 4? The suggested receiver location is very awkward, forceps install? Likewise positioning the battery is a dexterity test (but one is good for long flights). Note also that the wired in battery connector on the 'receiver ready' version is an MPX multi pin component, almost certainly not compatible with 'off the shelf' batteries in the UK. I does glide very well however.

Hello Ally

May I make a suggestion, I base this on the assumption you are new to the hobby.

The H-King Bixler 2 EPO 1500mm  59"Glider PNP comes with everything except receiver, is big enough to see and glides well for its size.

Go to www.hobbyking.com and do a search on the above, you will have to get it from the Global site so it will take a while to arrive, probably 14 days or so.

Do an Ebay search you may find one used but don't get the one with wheels or the smaller ones.

Good luck

Edited By FlyinBrian on 07/06/2020 08:19:19

Posted by Martin_K on 06/06/2020 19:21:50:

Ally, I don't think there are 'ready to fly' electric launch gliders, other than very small models which may include a flight battery and USB charger. At the least expect to set Centre of Gravity, setup control surfaces, install receiver, plus purchase batteries and charger.

Piers, have you had 'hands on' with a Multiplex EasyGlider 4? The suggested receiver location is very awkward, forceps install? Likewise positioning the battery is a dexterity test (but one is good for long flights). Note also that the wired in battery connector on the 'receiver ready' version is an MPX multi pin component, almost certainly not compatible with 'off the shelf' batteries in the UK. I does glide very well however.

Hi Martin, my old Easy Glider was the original with the brushed motor and I didn't have any issue with getting the gear in. The EG4 looks like a great improvement power-wise, judging by the video, although I have no personal experience of it. Replacing the green MPX connector with an XT60 or deans etc. should not represent a challenge to most people I would have thought.

I know that the HK Bixler, like the Easy Glider, is very popular with those new to model flying but I wonder how it compares to the Easy Glider, power off? Perhaps not much in it.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/06/2020 16:18:31

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 07/06/2020 16:16:26:

.... I know that the HK Bixler, like the Easy Glider, is very popular with those new to model flying but I wonder how it compares to the Easy Glider, power off? .....

I've never flown a Bixler so I can't compare.

I like the tool free, friction fit of the Easy Glider wing but the penalty to be paid is an under wing bay only accessible via the front canopy.

You must be better than me at keyhole surgery down a tube with a blind end!

In the "4" version (only one I have seen) the ESC's choke 'doughnut' partially obscures the open end of the tube. Much careful connecting cable and aerial positioning required.

One of the benefits of this type of EPO construction is that you can cut chunks out if you are so inclined and then add local reinforcement with strips of carbon cynoed in, if you feel some strength has been compromised. I did this with my HK 2.3m Fox some years ago to move the LiPo further aft.

One of the benefits of this type of EPO construction is that you can cut chunks out if you are so inclined and then add local reinforcement with strips of carbon cynoed in, if you feel some strength has been compromised. I did this with my HK 2.3m Fox some years ago to move the LiPo further aft.