Managing OpenTX for two transmitters

Allan Bennett

The other week I bought a Taranis X9D+ transmitter, intending to use it with v.2 firmware. I already have a Taranis X9D on v.1 firmware. What's the best way to manage the OTX files for these two transmitters? A problem, as I see it, is that when I boot up OpenTX Companion it is configured for a particular transmitter type in the Settings menu, and that info doesn't seem to be stored in the model files. So when I want to work with, say, my X9D+ files I have to check that the OpenTX Companion settings are right for X9D+.

Is the answer to have two versions of OpenTX Companion loaded on my laptop (if that's physically possible), or is there another way to avoid having to check and alter the Settings every time is use it?

Advert

I just select one of my TX in the settings menu under Radio Profiles..

Horus I.C.

Horus Electric.

Taranis X9D.

I create a folder for each TX and keep relevant downloads, backups etc in their dedicated folder.

I am not aware of any other way to do it, but would be happy to be proven wrong. Previously had multiple versions of Companion on my system for different versions, 2.1 2.2 and 2.3, but found that a bit too much. Now I just have the latest version. Much easier to mange.

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 06/06/2020 18:15:40

Thanks guys. Concentrating on the 'Settings' menu I had overlooked the 'Radio Profiles' one embarrassed

Presumably then a model file created for one transmitter can be loaded and used on another transmitter simply by selecting the appropriate radio profile before writing it to the transmitter?

Not quite Allan. Select the target transmitter profile and connect the tx then 'Read model and settings' from the tx, this will all appear in a panel as expected. Now open the backup that you want to copy a model from, it will probably warn you that it is about to convert from one tx type to the current one, that's ok, it will open the backup in a new model list panel. Now highlight the model in the list and select 'copy model'. Move across to the panel for your current transmitter, click on it and 'paste model', it will be the only icon highlighted!

If you simply load a backup from another model you transfer all the calibration data too and you don't want to do that!

One word of caution - check all the switch selections and mixes on every tab for the newly copied model. You shouldn't have issues with an X9D and X9DP but I found copying between an X12 and X10S that it lost the definition for the left slider even though both tx have LS and RS defined! Bit of a pain as I use LS for flaps and have loads of verbal warnings for flaps up, down a bit and down a lot along with flap elevator and flap aileron mixesangry

Thanks Bob. You're right about checking everything -- today I took my newly-updated flybarred TRex 500 to the field to test and, when I tried to take off I found that I had no collective control. All three head servos moved correctly in response to 'aileron' and 'elevator' inputs, but didn't move at all in response to collective, even though the motor did. Tail control worked correctly, as did the gyro gain switch. So a bit of re-programming will be the order of the day for tomorrow!

Just realised I've got another potential issue: My original Taranis is called 'X9D' on its rear label, but on the front it says 'TARANIS plus'. My new one says 'X9D PLUS' on the rear label, and 'TARANIS access' on the front. So what do I enter as the 'Radio type' in OpenTX Companion's 'Settings' screen? Seems to me that 'Taranis X9D+' is the only option for both of them.

And now I think I've messed things up:  If I try to read from the radio I get a message that it can't find a .bin file;  If I load a file into OpenTx Companion from my PC, and then try to write it to my radio using the 'Check firmware compatibility' option, I get an error message 'The radio firmware belongs to another product family, check file and preferences!'  If I write to the radio without checking the firmware, it seems to go okay, with no error messages.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 08/06/2020 14:10:20

If I look in the options in Companion 2.3.7 I have an 'X9D+ 2019' which I think is the one you need for the Access version. I don't see this option in 2.2.3 so you may need to download OpenTX 2.3 if you're not already on it. I believe that Access transmitters all use an ISRM rf board instead of the ACCST only iXJT board hence completely different versions of OpenTX firmware.

Thanks again Bob. I had been confused by the fact that whenever I used the 'Check for updates' function in my 2.2 Companion it said there weren't any. I thought I'd read about a 2.3.7 Companion in one forum or another, so I went to OTX web site and found it, and installed it. As you say, it has an X9D+ 2019 option, which I'm now using as of this afternoon.

I also think I read somewhere that 2.3.7 is not backwardly compatible with ACCST-only transmitters. From what you say about the rf boards, it sounds like that could be correct.