Taranis X9D & Horus X12S version updates

PatMc

Due to family health issues I've been virtually unable to commit time to maintaining building or flying models since last October.
My Taranis & Horus are on version 2.2.2 installed in July 2018, the laptop I was using back then is kaput & don't have OpenTx Companion in it's replacement PC.

I'd appreciate advice on whether to install the latest version 2.2.3 (?) in the Tx's or just stick with 2.2.2. Also which version Companion to use.
My free time is still fairly limited so I don't want be committed to changes that may be time consuming.

TIA
Pat.

Advert

My Qx7 was/is my main Tx on OpenTx 2.2.2. It has been a superb Tx for me with its flexible system. I use it with fairly complex F5J glider mixes on LBT D16 and D8 receivers. I have seen no issues with it at all.

My recently bought x9D was flashed with 2.2.4 (because I wasn't able to make it flash 2.2.2). It was not a problem, my model configs were loaded into Companion, "converted" and the loaded onto my new Tx.. All has been smooth with no snags... for me, at least, 2.2.2 on my Q7x it works so well that I will not update any time soon.  

Edited By David Hall 9 on 13/06/2020 12:19:49

Personally, I wait a few weeks and then update to the latest, which is currently 2.3.7, its now been out some time. It works fine. Companion has to be the same version. It only takes a few minutes to update both Companion and the tx.

If you want a quick fix then I think you should stick to 2.2 for now (latest version!) as moving to 2.3 will need you to check any telemetry references as I seem to remember having one or two hickups with the way the sensor values are named. Conversion was mostly transparent but would need every model checking thoroughly, while sticking to 2.2.4 shouldn't throw up any issues.

X9D, X10S and X12 are all running 2.3.7 quite happily now, 2.3.8 is said to be in beta testing now.

2.3.7 is the latest and works well with no problems (that I am aware of). I know you won't forget to backup your existing SDcard but if you have a spare SDcard then copy original SDcard and use that so you can easily revert to 2.2 if required. When starting Companion 2.2 you should be notified that a later version (2.3.7) of Companion is available and is also the easiest way to upgrade your transmitter.

You may also be aware that there is a firmware upgrade available for the transmitters (nothing to do with opentx which is currently causing all sorts of problems, at this stage I would advise you to stay well clear as the upgrade involves changing the firmware for both transmitter and all receivers and is not yet finalised.