Flair Spectrum Paint

Robert Welford

I have an almost complete Flair Tiger Moth that has been painted in Flair Spectrum paint.

I wish to re-paint parts of it. Spectrum is not fully fuel proof so would prefer to use an alternative paint that is. The Spectrum silver also appears to be a bit of nightmare to get a uniform finish.

My question is: what paints will be ok and will not cause a reaction with the Spectrum paint underneath?

All advice gratefully received.

Robert

My typical rule is it is ok to put a diffrent solvent based paint over the top. I.e. Acrylic is ok under or over Enamel.

But Enamel over enamel can cause an issued depening on how thin you apply it and the method of applicaiton. Brush is worse than Airbrush.

But I dont do much Enamel based painting anymore....

As I remember it, putting acetone (cellulose) type solvent based paints over enamels caused them to pickle while enamel over cellulose was ok. The old Flair paints seem to be rebranded as Guild now. I thought the Spectrum/Spectra silver rattle cans gave a pretty good finish! Brush painting silver was a very different matter though. I proofed it with their Clear Gloss spray, it seemed more glow resistant than the stuff they labelled as fuel proofer and less yellow too.