Wing Screws for Phoenix 1600

PatMc

dscn2003.jpg

I won this Phoenix 1600 kit at the club AGM last year & have just got around to assembling it. The instructions don't give any screw sizes or actually say which ones go where throughout the model.
When I tried the wing screws they are a very loose fit in the nuts that are already fixed in the fuselage. The screws seem to be 3mm but I suspect the nuts may be an American 1/8" size.

Can any owners of this model or the Phoenix 2000 version, which I think shares the same fuselage & fittings, check whether I have the correct (albeit loose fitting screws) or I they should perhaps be slightly bigger than 3mm dia.

TIA,
Pat.

I just checked my Phoenix 2K (which happenes to live propped up by my desk) and the bolts are definitely 3mm. Though the supplied ones ony measure 2.8mm a 3mm cap head I tried screws in perfectly. The thread's OK but the captive nut itself wobbles about (no idea how it's held) until it all tightens up when the wing is fitted. Never had a problem in flight.

The only problem I had when assembling it at first was that th screws holding the fin didn't engage and I ended up putting 3mm nuts and bolts in to hold it. I also had to put weights at the back to get the CoG right.

The motor failed a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a HK Gliderdrive which made a much neater installation.

IIRC it only cost about £70 complete with esc, motor, 6 servos (flaps, ailerons, rudder, elevator which I thought was quite good value.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, that's reassuring. I was aware of a problem with some control run snakes that had a mismatch of US threaded ends but supplied with metric threaded clevises that appeared OK but on occasion failed.

Out of curiosity I removed the wing mounting plate from the fuselage to have a look at how the nuts were held, it only took a few minutes, pics below.

dscn2222.jpgdscn2224.jpg

As you said it's the nuts that can wobble within their plastic holder.

I've replaced the weedy 1400 KV motor on this model with a bigger, heavier Emax 920 KV one and removed a slug of iron nose weight.
The complete model with 6 servos etc only cost me a fiver in raffle tickets so I'm not complaining.
Should be able to maiden it within the next few weeks as we come out of "shielding" restrictions. It'll be my first chance to fly anything since about November last.